Mac OS X Q3A 1.32 problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by SiliconDream, Jan 3, 2006.

1. SiliconDream macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2006
    I've been struggling with this problem for a while

I have Q3A installed on my Mac (iMac G3 500MHz G3 w/Rage 128 Pro2) with 1.32, but whenever I start it up, the performance is incredibly slow/choppy. Now I don't think its my video card, seeing as older versions of Q3A work on my computer and a higher performance video card was not listed in the requirements. Plz Assist. Thx.

Also running 10.3.9.
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    There were a couple of versions of 1.32, one created by The OmniGroup, which likely used Objective-C instead of C++ and that could slow it down on systems with less RAM and slower hard drives.

Is the problem only on startup? If so, if you quit and re-launch it, does it act similarly? That would be the case with virtual memory and there isn't much that anyone can do--even with extra RAM, it has some processing to do. Only a faster processor and quicker hard drive will help.

If it's a problem during run time, it could be just about anything related to slim resources and adding more RAM might help, even though earlier versions ran fine with your current resources.
  3. SiliconDream thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2006
    My hard drive and RAM are fine actually. That's more than enough to run it.

Anyone else want to take a shot :S

(Thx though bousozoku :D)