Mac OS X questions

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shadowfax, Nov 21, 2002.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    hey guys!

I'm loving my new powerbook to death. i just have a few OS X questions that beg answers:

how does one assign keyboard shortcuts to applications?

is there any way to "hide" my second partition, a swap partition of ~512 MB that is useless except inasmuch as the system keeps it separate from the rest of the volume?

is there any way to remove that stupid arrow that shows up on shortcut icons?

is there any way to make aquaMon run but NOT have an icon in the dock while it's running? i love that proram, really i do, but that icon ruins it for me.

is there any way to print to my winXP USB printer? i don't like having to unplug the printer and hook it to my powerbook every time i feel like printing off it.
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Congrats on your new powerbook :) i'll point out a couple of things... first, if you took the arrows off of aliases, you'd have a hell of a time figuring out which ones you could throw away and which were the actual program...

i don't know what Aquamon is, but if it runs silently (no dialogs/windows/interaction) you can set it to run at startup while hidden in the Login Items control panel.

As for your printer, visit the company's website and see if there are OS X drivers available. If it's a big name printer maker, they'll probably have drivers.

You should probably just put up with the swap partition, it's handy to have just for quick access, should you ever need. But i suppose you could try making it invisible in /Volumes/swap, tho that might be a bad idea...

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Not sure if you can do this but you could try creating a swap partition with a name that starts with a . This should cause to be treated as a "hidden" file and not show up anywhere (unless you show hidden files). This is a standard Unix convention which I know works with files on OSX, not sure about volumes....
  4. dricci macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2001
    Do a search over at Mac OS X Hints for printer sharing to/from Windows machines. There are a few great articles about it over there.
  5. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Re: Mac OS X questions

What you can do is replace the "alias" icon with the original icon. Find the original file and do a "Get Info". Click on the icon and do a "Copy". Now find the alias file and do a "Get Info". Click on that icon and do a "Paste".

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California

Yeah, there's an app called Youpi Key. Download it here. It's freeware.

No, not really, there is a way to prevent icons from coming up in the dock, but I know that only because an app I have doesn't show up in the dock, so I don't know actually how to prevent it.

If you enable printer sharing on xp, then OS X should be able to print to it, as long as they are connected by ethernet or something. Look around in Google or something, just search for Windows XP Printer sharing or something like that. You can also transfer files easily if you enable file sharing on either computer (windows file sharing on os x).

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC