Mac OS X server problems

Discussion in 'Community' started by appleguy, Aug 28, 2002.

1. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

Don't get me wrong when this does work it works great I have not had a problem until now.

All of a sudden OS X server (was 10.1.5) is rejecting all mail and not allowing me to login to a pop user outside my network (example checking my mail via my .mac additional mail account) stating the host can not be found.

I can ping the mail.domain name and mail works fine inside the server.
    I have reformatted countless times and reinstalled fresh. everything else works fine.
    I have just tried to install OS X server 10.2 (for temp use only) which I got from a mate from the developers site to see if that works but still I can't get mail in from the outside world but I can send mail out. can anyone help me?

Everthing is set to standard the only thing I have set is the domain names.

Any help would be greatful.

2. nixd2001 macrumors regular

Re: Mac OS X server problems

My guess would be something to do with DNS at first blush. If one (or more) of the machines involved doesn't sensibly identify itself via (reverse) DNS, many configurations are set to drop connections to avoid spammers and hackers. Does the "domain names" comment mean you've just changed something in this area?

Or maybe I'm misreading the problem.

If your server is trying to connect to a remote machine and fails the connection, try using telnet to determine whether its a fundamental socket connection issue or something higher level.

As pop3 is port 110 (traditionally found via /etc/services), try

telnet dubious.host.machine 110

and see if the connection gets dropped before you can do anything. If it doesn't, there's some other problem around.

[2 cents with a bit of inflation]

3. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

4. appleguy thread starter macrumors 6502

appleguy

I am using IP filtering instead of NAT

It was working fine until a few weeks ago.

5. appleguy thread starter macrumors 6502

appleguy

I get error messages when I send mail to it via another email account (totally different server) stating mail.mydomain rejected it.
    try it out.appleguy@my-place.sytes.net

6. nixd2001 macrumors regular

I've just tried sending a test email here and nothing's come back in five minutes.

The "mail.mydomain" might be a clue? Has this always been like this? How many different machines have you tried sending email from? Maybe your "from" machine has changed rules?

7. nixd2001 macrumors regular

Nothing came back overnight. Did you receive an email? Are there any clues if email from one source got through and another didn't/doesn't?

[I wish my PMG4 would turn up and then I'd be able to look a little more closely at how Apple have all this stuff working. Ah well - patience I guess]

8. appleguy thread starter macrumors 6502

appleguy

9. Funkatation macrumors regular

Sounds like you have open relay issues. I would uncheck all the filters in configure mail server, and then follow kbase #106762. This only works if you have specific IP ranges to set up. Just remember the more you add the less secure your server will be. Hope this helps.

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im having mail trouble...

im not on a paid account yet... but its not sept. yet so...

i cant seem to send messages... no one gets them. i receive them though. i sent myself an email through my hotmail accound and i received it through my .mac mail account. i have a toshiba cable modem... pcx2200....bought from the cable company cox communications. can anyone tell me what might be going on?????

11. appleguy thread starter macrumors 6502

appleguy

I finally got it to work.
    I took everything (my cube which is running osX server 10.2 and my ADSL router) back to factory defaults and went from there. and I did also notice the MS entorage does not really like 10.2 server I had user errors and mail geting delivered in other accounts. so I went to Mail (for the first time since office came out) and every thing works :)