Mac OS X Shines In Comparison With Windows Vista

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 7, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

3. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Vista's only advantage is that your not limited to certain types of systems. OSX has it beat hands down in everything else.

4. macrumors 6502

OSX feels much much slower, and has terrible web browsers and support (for the browsers). And MSN Messenger (even Adium) is naff too.

I'm looking forward to giving Vista a proper run (retail).

5. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Try it on the intel machines.

6. macrumors member

It does??

7. macrumors 603

solvs

I use FireFox on both. Works fine. The G5 optimized version is fast(ish) and the Intel one is awesome. Webkit on OS X is even faster.

IE 7 was so bad, I haven't updated my PC with it yet and don't intend to any time soon.

8. macrumors member

Total crap. OSX is far more efficient, run it on a machine with enough RAM and fast enough processor and it blazes.

Terrible web browsers? what a load of crap. Safari 2.0, Firefox, Camino. All miles better than IE6 and 7.

Adium is brilliant.

Vista however is a dog - Used it for a while, got sick of all the gut churning UI "features"

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

Vista does sound pretty poor compared to Tiger, but... one correction:

"None of the Safari widgets show as active, while the Finder window, being active, has the "live" controls, and the window controls all have a unique color. It is far easier to tell at a glance which window is the "active" or front-most window, even if the positioning is not obvious."

He's wrong about Safari: it does the same thing IE does. The controls DO look live even when the window is not foreground. The reason his Safari controls are inactive is simply that no page is loaded.

10. macrumors 6502a

Passante

I think his is talking about the red yellow and green buttons as indicating which window is active. Only the active window in OS X has them.

11. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Did anyone else see this, the computer that he's running vista on, and got the screenies from, is running on a 2.66 GHz dual core processor, and Vista cites it as a 4.53 GHz? Wow, I guess that's to convince the user that vista is faster than XP.

And when he says something about the new UI, it reminds me of just how abominable the UI in Office '07 is.

Vista can use USB memory sticks as additional RAM? Are you kidding me, possibly the slowest storage media since the floppy and I'm going to use it as my RAM. Probably just a ploy to make more users think that they can run Vista when they should really stick with XP. I'll keep my virtual memory, thanks.

12. macrumors 68040

Killyp

I think this is actually a really fair comparison. He's hit the nail on the head most of the time...

13. macrumors 6502

so basically Vista can not compare to Tiger, and will be blown out of the water by Leopard.

I sold all my windows computers and changed to mac in 2005 and there is no way I could ever see my self going back.

14. macrumors member

i think the reviewer is very anti-MS.

Most of the problems he states are inherent in MS's approach and style - which sucks big time.

for example complaining about making little changes like reducing the size of the "close" and "minimise" buttons - is negligible compared to all the other more serious screw-ups. At that point i think he was picking holes.

what i'm more interested in was the fact they vista is, in many ways, a rip off of osx - when will MS learn to stop stealing! and come up with something original that works?

15. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If anything, it's maybe slightly generous to OS X. But they do a really good job of looking beyond the eye candy (OMG!11!!!111 look at me flip through open windows in Aero) and look at how the features can actually be used.

But then a lot of it was very IT-centric. Like most home users are not constantly needing to discover their IP address. It does demonstrate the Microsoftness of the interface, though. With WM5, there was a very similar thing, in that WM5 is a *gorgeous* operating system, but it's still very MS. :eek:

And lol I can see a small but angry minority on MR furious at the fact that they find the multiple window looks in OS X to still have good visually consistency (I agree, too! :p )!

16. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

I don't think it's a visual so much as ergonomic, if you will, consistency. The windows may look different, but they are laid out, and function the same. If you know one, you know them all.

17. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The ergonomic aspect is definitely the biggest, I totally agree. I find that, even visually, they look good together. I am very rarely jarred by the fact that so many looks are used. In contrast, to, say, if a Win95 style window popped up in XP or an XP window in Vista? It would be quite noticable!

The only time I'm ever really bugged by it is that I find a few companies do make rather bad use of the Apple themes... particularly there are some egregious usages of brushed metal. But for the most part, I like the look on my Mac. :)

18. macrumors G3

clevin

a review from macbytes.com ? maybe read more from betanews.com or microsoftwatch would compensate the biased views.

Good or bad, we don't use vista, and why bother hopping on something u even lack of first hand experience? wanna make windows users switch? maybe first analysis why they use windows, respectfully, if u couldn't think a single advantage windows has, then u pretty much only trolling rather than helping.

19. macrumors G4

Chundles

Bloody hell clevin, you do realise macbytes.com isn't a review site, it's basically a search engine that finds any recent articles with a remote connection to Apple and gathers them together in one place. :rolleyes:

The actual review is from informationweek.com

20. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Hey that would make too much sense. Rationality hasn't always been one of this platform's strong suits.

21. macrumors G3

clevin

its an honest mistake, and i apologize for that,

anyway, have to wait, so many vista's reviews come out while the products aren't even in store yet. Its just so fascinating.

22. TBi
    macrumors 68030

TBi

Until OSX handles network shares as easily and neatly as Windows (without locking up finder on me...) no amount of polish will get rid of that stain for me.

23. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are a handful of small things like this for me too (I'd like Finder to get along better with WebDAV, whose ever fault the interoperability issues are; multisession burns in Finder; etc.). Network shares that are OS X native seem to be fine, though. You're not saying that loading up a network share that's on another Mac freezes your Finder, are you? Like I'm here at school off my home network, but if I try to load up the network share for my iMac at home, it takes a few seconds before the dialog with a cancel button comes up, but Finder remains operable during that time.

As for my WebDAV shares on the network here at school...well...at least you can access yours! :( I have to use that awful Goliath. :rolleyes:™

24. TBi
    macrumors 68030

TBi

My problem is when you attach a network share (SMB/Windows in my case), then unplug the cable (usually this happens when i wake from sleep) without unmounting it (because i just close the laptop and don't want to have to worry about unmounting everything). Finder goes crazy if you click the little eject button then. It doesn't seem like something that should be hard to fix.

25. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think the real take-away from this article is that Microsoft and Apple really do have distinct and different philosophies of design, and that they haven't changed much over the years. Microsoft continues to design its software on the assumption that the user is an ape. Windows is fine for people who don't mind being asked whether they really want to do the thing they've just done. Apple instead strives to make the results of user actions clear, such that they don't have to be exposed to needless, chatty "assistance" or an endless series of confirmations.

This is probably never going to change. But I was really surprised to read that Microsoft came up with such a boneheaded non-solution to security issues, when the better answer was right in front of their faces.