Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Panther Edition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jun 4, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Has anyone bought and read this book?I have not and im interested in some opinions on it.
  2. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Are you kidding? I love David Pogue. He is my Mac Guru and this is my OS X Bible.

To the point: It's a great book. All his books are. He's a very amusing and accessable writer, has excellent diagrams and he covers just about everything. He's especially good for switchers and/or people who want to know all the short-cuts. He's great for beginner because he takes you step by step through every aspect of the OS. He's great for us veterans because he always has useful tricks and tips that we might not have known about. And either way, he's a good read, a great way of learning or re-learning all Panther (in this case) can do.

Well worth getting.
  3. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Thanks for the reply.I like to do extensive research before investing in a product.The macs have been the apple of my eye for quite some time .Hopefully i will make a full switch sometime soon.thanks again.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I went through it when I switched and thought it was okay. The writing was very good, but I still find myself doing web searches to figure out how to do things.

BTW, might also look at this site:

I think it was loosely intendded pro-con XP and OS X but it does a very detailed comparison of how you do a lot of normal tasks on the two systems. I refer to it still every once in a while.
  5. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I love his stuff, and yes, I have The Missing Manual for Panther OS 10.3

Very good stuff indeed.

A good investment.
  6. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    I second all of what you said, it's the best computer book I've read, so it's definitely worth getting it.
  7. evil macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    yep i have the book too.
    its very good stuff.