Mac OS X throughout the years...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shadowmoses, Sep 2, 2005.

1. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Hey guys i came upon this pretty cool article i thought you may want to have a look it gave me great pleasure looking at how Mac OS has evolved over 20 years,

http://iindigo3d.com/blog/?page_id=40

ShadOW

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Thanks for that link.

It's amazing to see how far computers have come in such a short amount of time. Well, Macs at least :p

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Wow... even the 10.x versions look quite a bit different to each other. I think we need a fresh new GUI for 10.5. Two things I really hate in OS X are the default folder icons and the scrollbars.

4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I kind of a like the look of folder icons and scrollbars. There are custom icons that would prefer but the default once are still better than in any other OS on the market.

5. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I like the icons, and love the scrollbars.

The only thing I don't like is how slow some windows resize. Arghh.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

7. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Nice to look back on how OS X developed. God love those of you who used the public beta!

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Wow I didn't know the iTunes icon looked different in Puma. Pretty interesting stuff.

9. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Not to rain on your parade but this was on MacBytes a week ago. But its always good to bring back a good subject :)

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Got a quick question, it says

I upgraded from Panther to Tiger and still have IE. So does that mean if I did a clean install IE would not be installed from the Tiger install discs? And does that mean current Macs do not come with IE?

11. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I did an upgrade from Panther and IE remained, then did a reinstall a week later and installed straight from the Tiger DVD and there was no IE. :)

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Hmmm very interesting. I didn't know that. Guess one could go to Microsoft's site and download it from there if they really needed it.

13. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

14. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Writer of that page here...

I'm very surprised at the response that page has gotten. It's been posted 3 times on these forums now, been copied by someone else once, and has generated over 275GB worth of traffic from roughly 25,000 unique visitors on my page (ouch on bandwidth overage fees >_<).

Hehe, who knew there where so many Mac-heads like me :p

15. Makosuke macrumors 603

What a fun little visual history lesson. Nostalgic for me, and a little review of the computer history she missed for my wife. Lot of progress in 20 years, although it's interesting to note that basically the layout of OS1 isn't all that much different from 10.4--there's still an apple in the corner, some menus beside it, icons on the desktop, and a window with scrollbars, arrows, a resize thingy in one corner and a close thingy in the other.

Were someone who'd only used a 1984-era Mac transplanted into today, it'd be a bit bewildering but all the basics would be familiar enough. Same goes in reverse, of course. But boy, has what's under the hood changed...

Hey, it wasn't that bad. Of course, on the 266MHz G3 I had it on it was so slow it felt like it was eating my mind, and there was only one web browser, but it still didn't crash when you did two things at once and you could drag a movie while it played, which was a big step up over anything prior. Wasn't quite where the BeOS was, but it wasn't a total joke.

16. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

did u get that off of digg.com? just wonderin...