Mac OS X Tiger Annoyances

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CubaTBird, May 31, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    i have had my share of os x annoyances that don't seem to be problems at all... at least i don't think so... here are some of them...

1. after installing ilife 05' under tiger, the icons don't go to the dock automatically, i have to manually drag them there.

2. sometimes ill have a music cd in my comp and then restart and after the restart the cd won't appear on the desktop anymore or in itunes for that matter... i have to manually eject and put it back in...

3. sometimes i click the middle of a window, take itunes for example, and it minimizes for no reason...

4. no matter what background color/font color u use in ichat 3.0 it appears as black and white on aim for win xp when chatting with a pc user...

5. random safari crashes...

anybody got any others? just wonderin... :eek:
  2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I have a similar problem with the cd's not being read. Sometimes my machine won't read a cd and the only way to get it out or have the machine recognize it is to manually eject then restart.
  3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    random safari crashes- yes somtimes

weather dashboard client ALWAYS quits. every day

camino crashes whenever i need it.
  4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Dash Monitor disappears everytime I restart. I don't restart very often though, so it's not really a problem. I had to restart today for the Quicktime update.

Another annoyance is the Bonjour printers menu crashing any app that I scroll over it in.
  5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    My biggest annoyance is hidden applications coming to the front when I type my password when waking from sleep or screensaver. Happens everytime. I did a clean install too.

I don't hear anyone complaining about this, so I wonder if it's just me. Has anyone else experienced this?
  6. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    I don't know if it is X.4.1 or what, but my mouse will randomly vanish while in the finder window or even in system preferences. Thinking of reloading X.3 to my PMG5, very comfy with that version, or maybe a clean install of X.4.

Getting a lot more beach ball hang-ups too while running CS2 apps. or Entourage 2004.

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  8. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    Report these to Apple, or else it might not get fixed.

My biggest annoyance is MS Word 2004 is a lot more buggy and crashes more often now. I let both Apple and MS know, but I'll bet nothing gets updated anytime soon.
  9. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    One thing that really gets to me is in Address book when you are tying a SMS message you have to click "Send" rather than press enter as you could do in 10.3. I know it is nothing major bu I like the idea of not having to use the mouse when I send a text.
  10. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Sometimes it doesn't save my settings. I deleted a load of networks that I no longer use, and they "came back". Other changes have mysteriously "reverted" as well.

And the itunes widget has gone from being great to being awful in the space of a day. :(
  11. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    that always bothered me in 10.3 as I would accidentally hit the small enter key beside the apple button on the right side of the space bar and I'd send messages that were half done.
  12. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Ha. Ah well, cant please everyone can they. They could have always used the Return key instead of placing a line space in! Who used the return key in texts anyway?
  13. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    And one last thing. If I have my Shuffle in its dock and try to put the computer to sleep it does not fully sleep and will not wake up. It is fine for a normal iPod, that is when I charge it! Put the computer to sleep with the iPod in and come back in the morning and the iPod is charged. but not with the Shuffle!
  14. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002

ive NEVER heard of that. can someone help out?
  15. doubleraven macrumors newbie

May 12, 2005
    1) random safari crashes (will go firefox soon)
    2) only real complaint: sometimes my widgets don't initialize, and when I try to close them, they disappear, but the little X's don't, so then when I bring the dash back, the X's from before are still back. also, some 3rd party widgets, DL'd from apple are less than stable (but I can't blame that on apple)
    3) anything else I just attribute to needing more RAM (I have 512 in a 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook) from over mulit-multitasking
  16. witness macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    Random Safari crashes can be a real pain when you have a few tabs open!
  17. forthebrave macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2004
    QT PRO 7 and VLC problems!!!!!!!!!!! GEEEEZ!!!!
  18. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    Freaky indeed, i'll check it out when i'm back at my Mac.
    I think i do remeber being amazed one time at how many windows where open comming out of screensaver. Didn't think much about it back then.

I'll let you know MoparShaha.
  19. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    Try minimizing a Quicktime or other video window (enlarge it first). Big delay before it starts.
  20. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    I just checked.
    All Windows that where hidden stayed that way after taking it out of sleep/screensaver with password.
    Apps that where not hidden, just not visible because no document is open. Did come to the front.

21. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island
    Not really an annoyance but when i leave my mouse over where my creates in my head dashboard widget would be I get the little pop up box saying "click for over 200 random images"

This is when I am not in Dashboard, kinda weird eh?
  22. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Mar 27, 2003
    Jumpy Mouse

Starting in this new release of Tiger, when the CPU has a very heavy load, it can cause the mouse to loose fluid motion by jumping from place to place as you move it in a very jerky fashion. My past experiences in Panther and Jaguar NEVER NEVER NEVER caused my mouse to behave erratically! Even under the most extreme conditions of system CPU load or a lockup.
  23. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    Biggest complaint I have with Tiger is Safari crashes more times than the crash-test dummies. I tried Camino, and it was just too slow for me, and now I'm using Firefox which has not crashed once since I've been using it.
  24. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Thank you for checking. I was afraid I was the only one. It's been happening since day one, so I don't think it's an app that I installed. I think I'll just reformat and reinstall.
  25. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    View Options with its stupid defaults

The biggest annoyance I can think of (and this applies to Panther too) is that View Options (for folders) defaults to "All windows". This just means that 99.9% of the time I open View Options I have to select "This window only"...

Edit: And then we have those times when I forget to select it and, after closing the window, discover that all my folders have giant icons, or whatever...