Mac OS X Tiger Now Enhanced for Intel Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macusersoon, Oct 24, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I was surprised to read the following:

Mac OS X Tiger Now Enhanced for Intel Core 2 Duo
    "Apple has enhanced Mac OS® X to take advantage of the technology advances from Intel’s Core 2 Duo processors, resulting in increased performance in professional applications like Aperture™ 1.5, Final Cut Pro® 5 and Logic Pro 7"

Link

What did Apple do to enhance Mac OS X for the Core 2 Duo chips?

2. ksz
    macrumors 68000

Very interesting find. While I don't know what Apple did, it is likely that they recompiled some of the Core Libraries to take advantage of the Core 2 architecture. Compilers that optimize code for a particular processor architecture can render significant performance increases not unlike the 39% that Apple is quoting. While I have to see the benchmarks myself to judge the merit of Apple's claim, it is quite possible for code optimization to render such large improvements.

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm curious, too. I'm guessing it really just means that elements of Tiger were re-compiled using an optimized compiler for C2D from Intel. I don't understand all the subtleties of the difference between the Core architecture and the pre-existing architecture that Core Duo used, but I'm guessing there are probably advantages for large memory manipulations and so on?

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully Apple will publish some details on the "enhancements". I'm eager to know what they are.

5. kzg
    macrumors member

It will probably have apps compiled to use the 64-bit features of the cpu. On the Core 2 Duo you a nice little speed boost just by using the 64-bit instruction set and its extra registers