Mac OS X Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lewie109, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewie109 macrumors member

lewie109

Hi Everyone,
    I have a G3 iBook 800Mhz 640 Ram, 10.3.9 currently installed. I am trying to upgrade to Tiger. I am getting the cds from my school. All they have is iBook G4 Tiger cds. I used the cd in my computer, A message said "Can not be used with this computer" So then I tried FireWire Install. I booted my G3 ibk in Firewire disk mode holding T at start up. So then I popped up on the G4 and then When I tried using the G4 with 10.4.9 intalled the same message came up when I tried to install. The message is in the verry begining after the language selctor. Why is this? I would like to use the FireWire mode if I can. I don't want to buy Tiger! I don't have the money.

Thanks in advance,
    Darrin (Lewie)

2. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I don't think you can install it on your G3 then.

But if you could send me 10.4.9, it'd be great.:D

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the G3 iBooks don't support Tiger. I think Panther is the highest you can install without a hack. You could get a program called XPostFacto (which is free) and will let you install Tiger on your older G3, though.

Edit: Here's a link to XPostFacto - http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

forgive me for the first part of the post, aka rant
    1. do you have to post twice, with this first post be just hi everyone?
    2. where on the earth did you come up with 10.4.9... right now even developers only have 10.4.8...

okay now, to your question
    the reason you might not be able to use the cd is that the cd are for intel based macs? check the CD...
    also is there any more msg saying why you cannot use the cd on your computer?

again, sorry about the early part of the rant

i think G3 is fine, so long as you have firewire
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1 newest version of Tiger is 10.4.7
    2 you may search google for "iBook G3 Tiger" to see if Tiger can ever be installed on G3 iBook (which I don't know)

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a G3 900 iBook and it runs 10.4.7 natively. Runs it quite well actually :)

So yes it can support it.

Ed

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

False.

Any Macintosh with built-in Firewire supports Tiger.

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Yup, even my iMac DV SE G3 500 runs Tiger fairly well :p

9. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I have an iBook G3 800MHz (well, my sister has it now), and Tiger runs no problem* on it. I think the problem is that you're not using a proper retail copy, but instead using someone else's copy made specifically for another computer. Hopefully you can get your money back and buy the proper copy instead.

*Tiger is a bit of a dog on that machine, 10.3 runs much much smoother. That said, I still ran Tiger because 1) I had already bought the copy, and it seemed like a waste not to use it 2) I liked a lot of the new features. :)

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did the school give you a Tiger Install DVD or the system restore disc from an iBook G4? The latter WILL NOT work on much of anything except the model of iBook G4 it was built for. So it won't work on an iBook G3 or on any other G4 Mac. It's specific purpose is installing it on that model. It isn't licensed to you for any other use. This has nothing to do with limitations of the iBook G3. Apple uses some sort of hardware check on these CDs to lock them to the unit. For instance my install discs from my Rev. A iBook G4 wouldn't work on another MR member's last-revision iBook G4....

(sorry, I think I was typing while mmmcheese beat me to it. ;) )

11. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

Sorry, when I got to the Messeage box here on the website I pushed tab to indent and then I pushed return thinking it would tab in I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to post twice.

I just checked the cd and in big text it says iBook G4, system version 10.4.4. CD Version 1.0. My schoo bought 25 iBook G4s just right before the MacBook came out.

No the message says "Can Not be used on your computer" It has two buttons Restart or Shutdown. On Apple's Mac OS X Tiger Page It says you need a PowerPC G3, G4, G5. Built in Firewire and 256 ram. Check it out here http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html Why will this thing not upgrade?

I thought that the current version was 10.4.9 but my fault it is 10.4.7. I'm stuck back on 10.3.9 so that why I don't really know. That is just what I thought.

12. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Umm...using the school's software on your own machine is stealing. Go buy a retail copy of OSX Tiger and it'll work fine.

13. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

yeah, as someone said, if it's the system restore disk for the ibook g4, it wont work on your g3... matter of fact, id only work on ibook g4... you need to get retail version of tiger

14. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

Ok so what I really don't want to do. Just go out spend All my money on a copy of Tiger... Thats fine and dandy. Do u know where I can get it cheap?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's illegal, and you're not going to succeed with those discs anyway.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Which is why we're closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.