Mac os x tweaks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jun 17, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

I was wondering about the os x. Im on windows(yeah i know)but soon ill be switching.I want to know if the osx can be tweaked for speed.Thank you

2. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

Hmm, I actually don't know of many OS X performance-enhancing tricks. Here's what I do know:

There are a bunch of tips at the following website: http://www.macosxhints.com/ . They have hints on everything from the underlying OS to how to speed up Safari.

Another thing of note is that MacOS X comes with a ton of features that are hidden in the BSD part of the system. While this might not that mean you can add extra speed, you can add a bunch of extra functionality in the form of various services (Mail server, HTTP server, a robust firewall called IPFW, FTP server, etc).

3. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

4. cjc343 macrumors 6502

I have heard of people ocing macs although I haven't done it myself (there are a few threads here).

As for performance tweaks: The best way to keep your system running smoothly is to run a app like system optimizer x, and repair permissions every now and then.