Mac OS X vs Yellow Dog

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by allpar, Apr 30, 2003.

1. allpar macrumors 6502

Yellow Dog shows their version of Linux at http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/ydl.shtml which includes "Mac-on-Linux."

If they can run classic software, and Linux apps, is there a compelling reason why I should use OS X, which it appears is considerably slower? This is an innocent question, please holster your flamethrowers.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Re: Mac OS X vs Yellow Dog

It's the same question PC users face: Linux or Windows?
    2 reasons people choose for the "expensive" OS (Mac OS, or Windows):
    1) ease of use;
    2) software availability.

But if you can do everything you want on Yellowdog (or Mandrake, or whatever Linux), by all means do so! It's fun using other OS-es, and being able to compare them.

3. allpar thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you know anything about this Mac-on-Linux thing?

I'm a bit tempted, I must admit.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have never tried Mac-on-Linux. I have used Yellowdog's Linux (2.3) on a Dual 533 G4 for fun-purposes only. This G4 was triple boot (OS 9, OS X, Linux) so I never had to use a non-native running app.
    On May 2nd version 3 is free to download, and I think I will try to use these kind of features more.
    Usually I run Linux (Red Hat) on a PC, and Yellowdog was quite new to me, as any Linux PPC is. But, it's gr8! Very fast, and very usable.
    I really would like to encourage you to use it. It's free! Have fun. :)

5. allpar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, didn't know a free version would be available. Will try it!

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You can get it here!

Here's a screenshot (in case they decide to postpone it again.... it was originally downloadable on April 29)

Attached Files:

• ydl.jpg
      ydl.jpg
      File size:
      25.6 KB
      Views:
  7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Mac OS X vs Yellow Dog

I would say compatibility with peripherals would be a compelling reason. I've tried running Linux on various x86 desktops and laptops but always ended up going back to Windows because I just wanted something that was easy to use and compatible with peripherals. Then along came Mac OS X and I just knew that my next computer purchase was going to be a Mac. It's the holy grail of Unix: a truly user-friendly interface but with all the command-line tools and power of Unix under the hood.

8. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Dont know much about macs but i can vouch that linux in genral has still got a lot of learning ahead of it but in reacent weeks new versions of linux have come out Mandrak Red Hat etc etc with each new version of Linux there comes new supprises new eliments and new hardware that can be used with your system..

I currently run Windows XP and Linux distor Mandrake 9.1 and if it be known i hardly use XP anymore thanks to linux's lack of hacks and virus running around.. In other words I no longer use norton ....

Not so long back i bought a kodak digital camera it wasnt aprovied with RED HAT OR MANDRAKE untill verisons 9 for red hat and verison 9.1 for mandrake came out it now works a treat and i have free based software that dose the job as well as the comercial suits that are out and about mainly Adobe related stuff....

I might not have the healing brush but hell if i really need it ill boot into windows ... like i said i rarly get into xp because of bugs updates and countless virus that seem to be croping up here and there.

from what i gather Yellow dog is based on Redhat so it should be failry relaible and stand the test of time..

You may find problems with scanners but printers and digial cameras seem to be progressing at an alarming rate.

Thats my two bits for ya

Sabenth

9. allpar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. If I can use it as a dual boot I'll probably set it up next month when I have itme.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You'll have to partition your drive, but once you've done that YDL installs a very nice and simple boot-loader which lets you choose from which OS you want to boot (OS 9, X, Linux).
    So this is what I did:
    First partition: 10 GB YDL (with the loader on the first couple of MB)
    Second partition: 20 GB Mac OS X
    Third partiton: 10 GB Mac OS 9.

I put YDL on the first for the simple reason that if you by accident selected another startup volume (9 or X) in a control panel, you would not be able to use the loader anymore.
    As the loader is on ther first, PRAM zapping is sufficient to use the loader again.