Mac OS X wont install!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jemf, Feb 4, 2006.

1. jemf macrumors newbie

Hi all.
    I have just bought a new iBook including Mac OS X, and I want to reinstall/format the iBook so I can get rid of all those unneccesary programs like garageband and so on. I place my "Mac OS X Install Disc 1" to my drive and I reboot. When I hear the startup tone I press the "alt" button, and it gets to a screen. There is only finds my harddisk, and not my install disc! What can I do so it can find my install disc and I can format? This is my first time I try mac ever, so please write in "noobish":).
    Thank you to the persons who take their time to help me!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Try just holding down the C key as it boots up.

3. jemf thread starter macrumors newbie

Then there is just an icon shifting between a face and a question mark, and then it boots up normally. Am I supposed to push alt first, and when I push reload then press c?

4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

as far as i understand theres no reason to do the reformat, why not just delete the programs that you dont want, or are you a windows person coming from OEM machines thats are screwed :p

5. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

6. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

Actually, I just bought a used iBook and was going to ask the same thing. I'd like to format it and do a fresh install ( yeah I'm a switcher as of today :) ). But I'd like to KEEP GarageBand and the rest of iLife. Can I do a fresh install and opt to keep iLife? Also, how do I format and do a fresh install?

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would make sure that your factory install CD has iLife included.

Some older machines like mine came with iLife as a separate DVD.

When you load your install CD the CD icon will appear on your desktop, like any other CD.

Double click the CD icon and it should open to show your OS Install icons.

Your system should restart automatically once you click on the installer icon and you'll be ready
    to begin.

Watch for the " custom " install button in the lower left window as you progress through the install windows,
    then you'll see where you can de-select optional software by unchecking the boxes.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Boot from the hard drive, insert the CD, and double-click Install Mac OS X. It'll reboot from the CD without you needing to hold down anything.

9. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

either that, or hold the c key down when you push the button to power on. do not press it you power on because it will not always work.