Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
We'll see it before "Longhorn" (Have they begun that, yet?)

So...yep, before 2012!! (By then we'll be at 10.7, and then 11 will drop and then "longhorn" will get released and be about ten years too late)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
MacsRgr8 said:
Ueah.. the "X" is more than a "10"

It is a brand...

X for NeX T
X for "Ten"
X for Unix

So. I assume that eventually we'll get a Mac OS X version 11.0... ha!

Mac OS X11?...

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
ClarkeB said:
We'll see it before "Longhorn" (Have they begun that, yet?)

So...yep, before 2012!! (By then we'll be at 10.7, and then 11 will drop and then "longhorn" will get released and be about ten years too late)

Yeah, actually, one of my PeeCee's is running the Longhorn Alpha.

It's...well, let's just say you can tell it's an Alpha. The sidebar is whacked out and very difficult to use- I ended up disabling it. It also blocks a lot of your screen.

IE7's new GUI is so horribly unintuitive it's not even funny. The back button is GIGANTIC in comparison to everything else, and the forward button is invisibly small. There's a HUGE amount of wasted space and gigantic text for the page's title. Then comes the File-Edit-View stuff, and below that TINY stop-refresh-home-favorites buttons.

And of course, MSN.com is the default homepage.

And all Windows XP compatible spyware works, as proven by the fact that a relative managed to install the Yahoo Toolbar.

But the 3d effects don't work unless you have a fairly powerful card- my 64 MB Geforce 2 MX 400 doesn't work at all, I can't even play Jedi Academy (which ran perfectly in XP).

It's a pain to use, and terribly slow on the 900 MHz machine I installed it on.
LH1.jpg

LH1.jpg

Not to mention that Explorer.exe has a memory leak that literally balloons until Explorer.exe is using 150 MB (compared to 29 MB for XP at the moment).

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
ClarkeB said:
X11 would be 21, dear

(unless the 1s signify Is; then it would be 12.)

He said we'd get Mac OS X version 11, I was pointing out that would make it OS X 11 ;)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
wrldwzrd89 said:
Let's do some math here...

I'll estimate 100 million unique domain names have so far been registered. I'll also estimate that 80% of them are still associated with sites (80 million). I'll estimate that the average amount of data per domain name is 1 gigabyte. That puts the estimate for the data for the entire Internet at 80 million gigabytes, or about 76.29 petabytes (1 terabyte = 1,024 gigabytes; 1 petabyte = 1,024 terabytes). I'll estimate that 12 million domain names are registered each year, contributing 11.44 additional petabytes of data. Work out that equation for however many years you want to archive to get a sense of how much storage you would need to iSync the Internet with your Mac.

Mac OSX 11 Reccomendations:

3 Petabytes Hard Drive Space Capacity
200 USB 3.1 Ports
2 FireWire ports
64 GB RAM
VIRTUAL REALITY HELMET!!! (see my above post)
Apple 1 Button mouse (still using 1 button :( )
20 GHz processor

This is, assuming that this comes out in 2010.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I just thought about it:

Mac OSX 11 Release Date = LONG BEFORE LONGHORN! (the tiger "slogan")

EDIT: Reread thread, someone posted this... hmph, I thought I would post it FIRST!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
GFLPraxis said:
Yeah, actually, one of my PeeCee's is running the Longhorn Alpha.

It's...well, let's just say you can tell it's an Alpha. The sidebar is whacked out and very difficult to use- I ended up disabling it. It also blocks a lot of your screen.

IE7's new GUI is so horribly unintuitive it's not even funny. The back button is GIGANTIC in comparison to everything else, and the forward button is invisibly small. There's a HUGE amount of wasted space and gigantic text for the page's title. Then comes the File-Edit-View stuff, and below that TINY stop-refresh-home-favorites buttons.

And of course, MSN.com is the default homepage.

And all Windows XP compatible spyware works, as proven by the fact that a relative managed to install the Yahoo Toolbar.

But the 3d effects don't work unless you have a fairly powerful card- my 64 MB Geforce 2 MX 400 doesn't work at all, I can't even play Jedi Academy (which ran perfectly in XP).

It's a pain to use, and terribly slow on the 900 MHz machine I installed it on.
Not to mention that Explorer.exe has a memory leak that literally balloons until Explorer.exe is using 150 MB (compared to 29 MB for XP at the moment).

1) Its alpha, and by your screenshot, you are running a VERY early Alpha.
2) Thats IE 6, even though it may say IE7. Longhorn's IE7 will remove the extra stuff you were talking about (double favorites, awkward FILE, EDIT, etc...)
3) You can move the taskbar.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Tiger might be the last OS X (which is said, "Ten" not "X"). No such thing as OS X 11, that would be OS Ten Eleven. Nope.

If Tiger's on the market for at least three years, or til 2007, then Apple won't be far behind Lognhorn with OS "11" or whatever it'll be called.

I say we'll have an entirely new OS by 2010. With maybe a 10.5 "Sabertooth" out in early 2008 (or late 2007) to bridge the gap until 2010.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I love how people hang on to EVERY word that Steve says and how they look for some hidden meaning... guys.. he's a person. If he indicated anything about it being a long time, fine, but like... every phrase spurs a huge like... thing. What is that word... um.... oh who knows. I'm tired.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I do remember that an Apple rep said, last year, that Tiger will be the last of the yearly OS updates that have been coming (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc).

I think this could be true seeing how many new features they are putting into Tiger.

Apple is slowin' 'er down a bit.

Note: They didn't say they it would be the last one, just you won't see one every year.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
mac-er said:
I do remember that an Apple rep said, last year, that Tiger will be the last of the yearly OS updates that have been coming (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc).

I think this could be true seeing how many new features they are putting into Tiger.

Apple is slowin' 'er down a bit.

Note: They didn't say they it would be the last one, just you won't see one every year.
Fit's what I said very well. 10.5 (if there even is one) in three years from now.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
They can't drop the X... they can name the operating system with the name "X"...

So, OSX 11 would make sense if they did that...

"Apple Macintosh Operating System X Version 11"

X = Unix, NeXT...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
You know, it seems that a lot of people have missed the significance of X11. No, it's not 21 or 12. It's more playing into the Unix idea while allowing the naming scheme to move forward. X is the name of the OS (look at all of the ad graphics for the Mac OS, nothing but X's). As others have pointed out X ties the OS to NeXT and Unix, which isn't something that I'd think Apple would want to give up. Further, by stepping the next major version to be "X11", "X-11", or "X 11", ties it to the primary Unix windowing system X Windows X11.

Now, all of that said, I have no idea where Apple will go NeXT. ;)

dxp4acu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Texas
Maybe OS X11 will become a Linux for the masses. Merging Linux and OS X will help even more people switch over, and thus cause MS to lose more of a foothold. :cool:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
dxp4acu said:
Maybe OS X11 will become a Linux for the masses. Merging Linux and OS X will help even more people switch over, and thus cause MS to lose more of a foothold. :cool:
Merging Linux and Mac OS X is alrady done. You can compile most Linux applications to run under OS X running the X11 Window System.

So tell me exactly what needs merging?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Timelessblur said:
That would be coping MS. Microsoft is adding 3d to thier UI

Pfft. Some Linux distros ALREADY have a 3d UI. And Mac OS X already has a simplistic 3d UI (all the windows are 3d rendered with the shadow and all- try out Expose sometime), they could just expand it.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
dotdotdot said:
1) Its alpha, and by your screenshot, you are running a VERY early Alpha.
2) Thats IE 6, even though it may say IE7. Longhorn's IE7 will remove the extra stuff you were talking about (double favorites, awkward FILE, EDIT, etc...)
3) You can move the taskbar.

Actually it's build 4074. Hasn't been anything newer given to the testers yet outside of MS HQ that I know of.

And it IS IE 7. It has 24-bit PNG support finally, for one thing.

And I know, I removed the "dock" on the right side shortly after taking tha tshot.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Snowy_River said:
You know, it seems that a lot of people have missed the significance of X11. No, it's not 21 or 12. It's more playing into the Unix idea while allowing the naming scheme to move forward. X is the name of the OS (look at all of the ad graphics for the Mac OS, nothing but X's). As others have pointed out X ties the OS to NeXT and Unix, which isn't something that I'd think Apple would want to give up. Further, by stepping the next major version to be "X11", "X-11", or "X 11", ties it to the primary Unix windowing system X Windows X11.

Now, all of that said, I have no idea where Apple will go NeXT. ;)

Can you say lawsuit? :rolleyes:

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
What are peoples latest estimates for release of longhorn, and do you think it will be designed to compete with tiger, or a later version of Mac OS?

...also I haven't posted for a while, but whats with all the pirate names?

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
April 1st

Yes, I love April Fools Day. Took me a while to think up that one, yet I think it worked. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.