mac osx 10.3 for ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by emo11, Feb 24, 2005.

1. emo11 macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2005
    I have a powerbook and my father has recently purchased an ibook. He either bought or had a DVD for the 10.3 os labeled as an "ibook" cd. Is it possible for me to use this on my powerbook or no? And if so, how? Just pop it in? thanks..
  2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    legally, no
    technically, maybe
    practically, ... no

The disks that came with his computer are not meant as clean install disks for any computer. Your mileage may vary. If he bought a black retail 10.3 Panther box, that would work, but legally it's only licensed for one computer.
  3. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    From what I've heard, the discs that come with a computer have a version of the OS that is made for that computer. So it's not exactly a full version of the OS. For that matter alone, I'd be skeptical. If you're going to try it, better back up first and have your 10.2 disc (or whatever you have for the powerbook) handy in case something goes wrong.

With that in mind, if it's labelled as an iBook disk, it won't actually let you do anything with it in the powerbook. You can boot up with it just fine, but before it installs anything it will do a hardware test and then tell you that the disc isn't compatible with your model of computer. So if you want to load it, you're going to have to figure out how to hack it.
  4. phonemonkey macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2004
    It depends on what the disks contain. If you have images of the os install disks, they will work. The software restore disks will not unless you enable the os to see hidden items, in other words the restore disks will not autorun like the os disks will. I am not encouraging anyone to break licensing agreements, but os disks for an ibook will run on a powerbook.