Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifrogy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
France
Well, i just bought a new macbook air 13" inch (2011). the problem is that i can't get to connect to the wi-fi at my place at all. knowing that this Wi-Fi is encrypted in a different way. When i connect i should go on the browser open any page and it redirect me to the Login/password page and this never happens on the mac although it's working very well on a windows 7 laptop.
So any chance any1 knows how to fix this issue.
Thank you in advance.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
First try this trick.

1. Open System Preferences->Network

2. In the Network pane, at the top of the pane, use the 'Location' drop-down to 'Edit Locations ...' and create a new Location (calling it whatever you want) using the + button (in Lion). After the new location is made click on the 'Apply' button to save the new location.

3. Use the new 'Location' to rejoin your wireless setup, with the proper settings.

finleychops

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
Same problem on snowleopard

First try this trick.

1. Open System Preferences->Network

2. In the Network pane, at the top of the pane, use the 'Location' drop-down to 'Edit Locations ...' and create a new Location (calling it whatever you want) using the + button (in Lion). After the new location is made click on the 'Apply' button to save the new location.

3. Use the new 'Location' to rejoin your wireless setup, with the proper settings.

This worked for me, thank you!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I am really convinced the the "Automatic" Location is broken! Plus don't worry, making a new Location will still discover Wi-Fi points exactly the same way as Automatic. The Automatic Location is just a Location name.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I'm also convinced the Wi-Fi issues in Lion are driver related so everybody should just quit chasing hacks. Ever since I reverted back to SL 3 weeks ago I've had zero problems.

Go figure.

And no it wasn't just because of a clean, new OS install either. Tried that with Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.