mac osx on linux -> it's true

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by sanderg14, Oct 27, 2003.

1. sanderg14 macrumors newbie

2. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

i think that mac on linux only runs on powerpc distros of linux. I want to be clear this is not mac running on linux for x86 =(most linux distros). ANy way this is possible because no hardware emulation is running. MOL is using some trick to boot osx on top of inself. Does not seem that special considering virtual pc actually has to do hardware emulation.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: mac osx on linux -> it's true

it's not that big of a thing. note that this does NOT mean that you can run it with a non-apple computer; it's only for linux/ppc. so all the native support for OS X is there. so, much like X11 in OS X, it's not that surprising that they could run OS X in tandem with a linux OS.

"MOL is not an emulator but runs runs the OS directly without any CPU emulation"

there's your how, more or less. apparently it's not doing a whole lot more than parameterizing the screen within an X11 window and making sure the two OSes don't collide.

4. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

actually after futher investigation on MOL website i found that one does not "NEED" a mac to run mac os. They only need a ppc system, MOL states that this could be a amiga or others. They state that this violates the EULA of apple but that is just a legal issue not a tech one.

5. pbooktebo macrumors member

I've used MOL

Mac on Linux (MOL) is part of the standard install for users of Yellow Dog Linux (at least it is in version 3.0).

I installed Linux on a separate partition on my TiBook 400. It runs great, and I wanted to investigate MOL, as it is one easy way to access your OS X files from within Linux.

It does work, and it does run at near full speed (I think performance took a very small hit from Linux being up, but nothing like Virtual PC). However, I will note that, at least when I ran it, you couldn't run sound. That is certainly a serious limitation.

However, I do think that Linux is a great idea, particularly for older Macs. If I had an old G3 iMac, I'd install YDLinux and have a ball with it. As it is, I mostly used it to begin to explore and understand the UNIX aspects of OS X (it got me interested in Terminal and X11), as a learning project for myself, and to better understand the basic Linux interface (as there are times when I'm not on my Powerbook).

For those familiar with Linux, Yellow Dog is very similar to RedHat, and I think it even uses RPMs for programs. You can visit some of the standard linux sites, download the iso files, burn them to CDs, and install away (although you need to have created a UNIX partition on your drive with probably 4-10GB, depending on what you want to do).

What I hope is that they'll come up with a flavor of Linux that is Firewire bootable.

Sorry if this drifted off-topic more than a bit. :(

6. iDean macrumors newbie

In the FAQ;

7. iN8 macrumors regular

I started downloading YDL a few nights ago and am almost finished downloading the 3 disk set of YDL 3.0. I have an unused hardrive in my machine, so I decided to play with it.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've got a question about MOL, so i thought i'd post it here instead of making a new thread...

i'm just wondering about the options for transferring files from Linux to OS X, and OS X to linux? with MOL, can you drag files from OS X to linux, like with VPC? and can you move/copy files from linux to OS X?

9. jamall macrumors regular

I wonder if Mac-on-Linux would work on one of these. That would be sweet.

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

theoretically it would, but i don't see how you would get support for the hardware like sound cards and video cards unless they were mac compatible.

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

come on people. help a fellow Mac user out. :p

can anyone answer my questions about moving files from OS X to linux using MOL?

please?:)

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i'm sure it can be done. linux reads all kinds of filesystems, there's no doubt YDL reads HFS+ partitions.

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911