Mac OSX Panther

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Lurk, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Lurk macrumors member

Hey all, i currently run:
    Windows XP Pro
    512 MB DDR Ram
    Intel P4 2.53 GHz Processor

Can i Dual Boot with Mac OSX Panther?
    ex.
    when i boot the comp, i can choose between Mac OSX Panther or Windows XP?
    is it possible to do that?
    any way, third party apps, etc?

2. portent macrumors 6502a

You cannot run any version of the Mac OS on an Intel architecture machine.

The only way to run OS X and Windows on the same machine is to use emulation software such as VirtualPC on a Mac.

3. Lurk thread starter macrumors member

hmm, that sucks :(
    why is that?

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

haha, sorry but this is funny.

you need apple hardware to boot osx or run it or whatever you want to call it. macs use RISC cpu's. pc's use CISC cpu's. macs use ibm and motorola cpu's. pc's use intel and amd cpu's. odd that a pc maker is one of the 2 apple chip makers but hey, whatever works :) different type of computer all together...

did you not know that macs ran different everything?

it would be like trying to play a PS2 game in an Xbox for example..

5. Lurk thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i knew it ran different everything, but i was wondering if there was a way around that or something..

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

If you're being really canny, compare a GameCube (PowerPC G3 variant) to an Xbox (Intel x86) for better comparison ;) :D

Original poster:

Don't be put off by that fact. There are two reasons why Mac OS X will not run on your PC:

1) Because of the aforementioned reason that they are completely different processor types with different instructions. PC code is like Chinese (i.e. a completely different language) to Macs and vice-versa.

2) Because Apple doesn't want you to. Although they would gain sales of Mac OS X, it would then destroy the Mac hardware market. So it's a no-go. Solution? Buy a Mac, you won't regret it :p :D :cool:

So, although, yes, Macs are completely different to PCs, the software that is made for them allows them to do common things. Therefore Macs are just as compatible. For instance, you can still read/burn CDs, network with PCs, open Word and Excel files, use JPEGS, surf the net, etc.! So, to us computer users, the processor type is unimportant, other than that it doesn't allow us to run Mac OS on Intel, or Windows on Macs (unless you get Microsoft's Virtual PC emulator).

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

wow, cool. I didn't know the game cube used a G3 variant. is it faster/slower than a normal G3?

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Because it's the Mac OS! :mad:

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm not sure. It was rumoured to have alti-vec but I can't see that it has, as that IBM alti-vec-enabled G3 has remained elusive even to this day. I know it's made by IBM not Motorola though, and it has the ATI 8500 graphics card. The processor clock speed is 485 MHz. It would be rather slow now, but it's optimised and good for games still.

Of course, you know that the XBox 2 is looking like it will have G5 processors?