MAC OSX Users, Can we buy a Tungsten T5?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gusanitoverde, Sep 22, 2004.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Brief Background: I have been a palm user for about 4 years, had an m100, m505, m515, and Tungsten T, (All of these units, I had to exchange several times, I would say too many times! because of defects from factory. In my opinion, Palm was getting more production but bad in their quality control. Looking for innovation and something better, I switched to Sony Clie handhelds, and there at that time, also tired of the problems I had with my crashing brand new Windows PC, I moved to the Macintosh OSX Platform. (I love Mac ever since) With Sony, I bought consecutively the NX70V, NX73V, NX80V and finally an NZ90 unit. Recently another turn happened: Sony drops the US market, it was time to sell my NZ90. I did it recently, so I am just on time to buy a Tungsten T5, which is suspected to have OS6 (Cobalt).

Just about to be excited to buy a good PDA, I read the Brigthhand review of Cobalt (Palm OS6) and found the following:

1. palmOne (formery Palm Inc.) developed their software more efficient (expected of course)
    2. It will allow devices like the Tungsten T5 to be used as a removable drive to drag and drop files to and from the palm
    3. Such changes in the OS will interact differently with the palm Desktop and Hotsync Technology, therefore a new Palm Desktop is coming out...
    but, only for PC's...
    4. the bad news is that palmOne made this changes only commited to the Windows platform, leaving Mac users behind. Then, palmOne offically states that they will not support the Mac platform.

So how could I buy a Palm that will not sync with Mac OSX and there will be absolutely no new palm Desktop for Mac?

I kept on reading the article in Brighthand on this review and talking about the Mac platform I found the following commentS:

"Desktop Synchronization

I've already mentioned that PalmSource has revamped personal information management (PIM) apps. This includes revamping the way Cobalt stores the user data and adding much better support for Outlook. One nifty feature I read about but didn't see demonstrated was the new HotSync Exchange. This means you can drop a PC file onto the Install Tool and it will be automatically transferred to an application that can make use of it on the handheld during the next synchronization. The documentation says this can be done with images, which doesn't surprise me, but it also mentions Word and Excel files. I'm not sure how this is going to work, as the standard version of Cobalt doesn't include a word processor or a spreadsheet application.
    Mac Synchronization: No surprise, PalmSource's decision to no longer develop a Macintosh version of its desktop client is proving controversial. I found it somewhat surprising, as I know David Nagel, the company's CEO, is a Mac user.
    Still, this might not be as big a deal as some think. I spoke with a palmOne VP who gave me the impression that palmOne will be at least talking to Mark/Space about bundling The Missing Sync for Mac OS X synchronization with its Cobalt powered handhelds. And Sony Clie users have already had to use The Missing Sync for years." :mad: :mad:

After reading this article, I wrote to MarkSpace, creator of Missing Sync (I am glad that they are around) and asked if they are planning to support OS6 devices. And they were very nice at answering soon the following:

"We do plan to support OS 6 devices. Since none are currently shipping,
    it is hard to provide more specifics at this time. Just check back with
    our web site again after the first devices ship. Note that at this
    time, palmOne has not made any announcement about the T5, so it may run OS
    5, or it may run OS 6. Nobody will know for sure until palmOne says (or
    it ships!)"

Thank God for this guys, however, I hope that palmOne gets their act together and provide the Mac users with an exit to this sad problem.

What do you think?

Brighthand's full review on OS6 could be found here:
    http://brighthand.com/article/First_Impressions_of_Cobalt?site=Palm

Thanks! :cool:

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I have had so many problems, lies, and deceit with Palm that a I refuse to buy any of their products ever again. Don't make the same mistake. Buy a PocketPC, any brand, it doesn't matter...Just don't buy a Palm, especially Tungsten series.

3. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I wouldn't buy Windows based handhelds

But, how would you compare a PPC with a Palm? is PPC syncable with a Mac at all?

Thanks for replying! :)

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

A little peice of software called "THE MISSING SYNC" works wonders. It gets the PPC into iSync, shows up as a HD, as a music device in iTunes..the list goes on. Please, do yourself a favor and stay away from Palm. I really should have written a thing about him on here...If you knew what I have been through, you probably wouldn't want to deal with them either.

As much as everyone doesn't like Microsoft, PPC's are supreme over the PALM Os. You know Windows right? The horrible OS for PC's that is full of problems and eternal errors? Well, it doesn't work well on those big machines, but put it into a little one, and there is where it shines. It is a great deal and there are much more options for PPC's than there are with Palms. I mean, come on...Palm has. and is, telling everyone "We are not going to support the Mac anymore...we are not kidding...Seriously, you better listen to us." So avoid the disapointment with not only incompatibility but a horrible operating system that is the Palm OS.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Hola Gusanito verde! :D :D :D

I would say WAIT! there is the DEV conference in Munich -Next week- and they will have major announcements about Cobalt and for sure what will happen with Mac OS X ... new products will be released (Rumor) coming first a new Treo and maybe (almost sure) the T5 (I posted before that they won't release a T4, maybe you know that) go to palmsource.com and get more info about the developers conference and wait until next week... someone said that Palm will include missing sync (or whatever the name is) to support the mac community... but let's see!

P.S How did you get to that nick? :p

6. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Well it is posable... But I found a hack to use my Newton 2100 with OS X and SYNC it... Suirmisabley if you do want to it would work I'll sure.

7. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I have a HP2210 syncing perfectly with my G5 / OSX I use some software called PocketMac it works great, can sync over bluetooth, wifi or usb. A little fiddly setting it up but once its set you can leave it and its worked flawlessly for me. It even comes with a tool to install PocketPC/Windows CAB's onto the PocketPC without using windows, although this is very buggy.

Oh and it even comes with a nice skin to make your windows pocketpc look like a mac....

http://www.pocketmac.net/ and the pro version costs about £21.23 ($41)

8. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

The answer to your question, is yes. You can get a T5 and use it with your Mac, and this proves it There will be no problems using the T5, and with 'the missing sync' it should work seamlessly. I have a Tungsten E, and it works perfectly, but the old USB connections is very slow, compared to the synching with my iPod.

9. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

T-5 & PPC

Hola Everyone!

I am glad you all replied, makes me proud of belonging to the Mac forums community. I have been very faithful to palm handhelds, and as you may notice, I contacted the Missinc Sync makers personally and I got a note from them. They have not talked to palmOne apparently. There is no Missinc Sync anytime soon. I will wait for the Tungsten T-5, but if this doesn’t work, I am very interested on the Pocket PC (PPC). May be you, or is there any savvy PPC user that could tell me how could is Pocket PC better than palm in the PIM applications? PPC doesn’t have a Desktop software to sync with, and aren’t Mac and Windows archenemies after all?

I have beed always reluctant on PPC’s since even comparing Micoroft Word like applications like Pocket Word for PPC and Wordsmith or Docs to Go for Palm, the palm handheld wins hands down. PPC applications are not very functional, since it takes a lot to make them. The same is true with the OS that PPC’s have. The Windows Operative System is very robust and yes, the memory could be big in megabytes, but so is the OS and the programs that are not as numerous as Palm.

You know? Considering moving to PPC is like a decision I had to make to move from Windows to Mac. I love Mac and so far I am not planning to comeback.

This thread is informative for all Mac users that use handheld devices as PDA’s. Which could be best? The allegedly new USB connecting T-5 256 Ram or the latest Pocket PC?

And now to top it off: Which PPC should I buy? There is so many out there… Are all of those the same?

Thank you guys!

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You never know, maybe they'll ditch Palm Desktop on teh Mac and Apple will make the iSync Conduit do everything w/o the palm desktop. Palm Desktop is so buggy anyway. Think about it:

• iCal for calendar
    • iPhoto for photos
    • iTunes for mp3s
    • Mounts on desktop for app installs (or drag apps into iSync on the menu bar)
    • Notes saved as .pict or .bmp files in a Palm/Notes folder
    • Memos saved as .txt files in a Palm/Memos folder

It'd be awesome.

11. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I have something to say about that...

give me some time.

God willing, I'll write tonight my question.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I use a Tungsten T. So far, so good. Only once it died...but I was able to get a new one. I sync it over Bluetooth. Note to all of ya: NEVER SYNC MOVIES OVER BLUETOOTH! Unless you have about 50 minutes... :p

But I sync it in class, during study hall, etc. I love it. And it runs almost all Applications that are out great. But that T3 is rather neat looking... anyone care to give me an extra? ;) :rolleyes:

13. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Here is the question:

I always had problems with iCal. Compared with the palm Desktop in PC, is OK, butprinting such calendars is not acceptable in iCal.

Palm Desktop prints your appointments in diferent formats, but no matter how many appointments you have in a day, Palm Desktop in PC will print ALL for you, no matter how many tose are. And if you are printing in month format, and your appointments don't reach to print in the small day boxes, palm Desktop PC prints an Addendum in which you could see the rest. Pretty neat. However, iCal chopsyour calendar and if you had too many appointments... too bad.

Am I missing something here? I love Mac. Maybe I am doing something wrong. But I have not find anything better PIM to manage, sync and print than Palm Desktop for PC. No iCal, No Palm Desktop for Mac (too hard to use and figure out), Not even Entourage is like this PC program. Is there any better?

14. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

15. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

That proves NOTHING. And, if you have to use a T5 with The Missing Sync then you might as well use a PPC. I tell you, Palm is going down the gutter. Where is their future market? It's true that PDA's are dying as bigger and better things come out. Palm will fall like the rest of them. Sony took their Palms out of the US market because they have million dollar analysts who can tell them "Okay, these things are not selling so well...Let's get out while we still can."

Also, WORD for PPC is great, fine, and simple. I don't know much more that's needed for it.