Mac OSX version of NvFlash?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacVidCards, Jun 20, 2009.

1. macrumors 604

Nov 17, 2008
    Hollywood, CA
    Slowly but surely I am working toward Flashing the GTX285. Ideally we will figure out a way to mac an EFI-32 ROM. In any case, I first want to find out if there are other hardware issues preventing these from working.

The Mac EFi ROM is GREATER than 128K and my EVGA (PC version) only has a 128K so I am trying to figure out what 256K EEPROM chips are available and will work with Nvflash.

I downloaded the latest version of Nvflash (5.77) and decided to read the Read Me to see if they had a list of supported EEPROMs in the 256K size.

To my surprise, I read the following in the Read Me:

Supported Operating Systems
    NVFLASH is currently available for DOS, Win32 platforms, Mac OS X, and EFI. The Mac OS X version requires that a NVIDIA driver be running on any cards that will be accessed by the utility.

I read toward the end and it had this on a GUI version:

Mac OS GUI Versions
    There are GUI versions of NVFLASH for Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X that are designed to allow end users to upgrade their firmware.

I recall that there was a GUI version that ran in OSX, but it quit working after the 6xxx series cards.

Does anyone know anything about these alleged OSX versions of Nvflash?

Could certainly make working on Nvidia cards a bit easier.

What would an EFI version be??

It is possible that the Read Me is old. It is dated 2006
  2. macrumors 6502

Dec 17, 2007
    I read that as well and was never able to find any mac version, let alone OS X form. I use the Windows version under bootcamp as could never figure out the DOS on USB thing.
  3. macrumors 68020

May 21, 2009
    Munich, Germany
  4. macrumors member

Jun 9, 2009
    I say, here.

Install it with Picifist.

Then sudo kextload /Applications/Utilities/GeForce 7300 GT Firmware

and /Applications/Utilities/GeForce 7300 GT Firmware

But, it's so old, I don't think is supports past the 7900's.

And it can't be used for first flash, or in Hacks, so it may not work with an injector.
  5. macrumors G4

May 6, 2008
    Access to a PC helps immensely, as it's easier to create either a floppy or USB stick that would boot DOS.

A USB Floppy might be the easiest, as you just move it from one system to another, and don't have to format a USB stick to FAT16.
  6. macrumors newbie

Feb 17, 2010
    gtx 285 classified

Would it be possible to flash a EVGA GTX285 classified for MAC Pro?
    The card has 3x Power connectors (would it work with only 2x?)

7. thread starter macrumors 604

Nov 17, 2008
    Hollywood, CA
    Im sorry, I don't really know. more than likely needs the eeprom changed
  8. macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2011
    Mate, could you contact me in private?
    I saw one post of you talking about EDID issue and I like to know if you can give an help with something that could be related to that.
    Is there any chance of this happens?

You can contact me at:
    Or in InsanelyMac Forum as Breakingbad.

Cheers to all,
  9. macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2010
    Do you realize you bring a thread that is almost a year old back to life???

10. macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2011
    Well, I'm trying to contact one of the users of this forum and I'm not allowed to contact him in private.
    Is there a problem to try contacting him here?

11. macrumors G4

May 6, 2008
    There's limitations based on time and post counts for some features/sections (FAQ and Rules sections).

From the FAQ section (on Private Messaging):
    Even if you've met the post count, it still may not be possible, as each user has the option of allowing email and Private Messages to other members (or not, if they so choose).

Hope this helps. :)