Mac P2P Software......

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mattpol, Jun 10, 2002.

1. mattpol macrumors regular

I am about to make the big SWITCH.......I plan on ordering my new PowerBook G4 (Top of the line.....800 MHz, 1 GB Ram, 60 GB HD, etc...) sometime this week. The one thing that I am still a bit unclear about is Peer-to-Peer file sharing software for the Mac. Can you fill me in on what programs I will be able to use to share movies, music, and the like?

thanks a bunch!!

peace out,
    matt

ps: i'm already planning to send in my switching story to apple, and maybe someday you'll see me on TV sharing my experience!:D

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I know a lot of people here who recommend Hotline, Carracho, or something like that.

But for over six months now I have found Limewire to be a life saver. It's a bit tricky to learn, but if you want ask me what there is to need to know other than the basics, and I will have a short lecture-like post describing how to maneuver around the tricky spots.

BTW, if you plan on downloading music, and you really like a song, I would also get the CD for it. :)

Fear the King.

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

If you search through the mac-help/questions forum, there are some threads dealing with p2p s/w.

Congrats on making it to the bright side :p

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wait a second, I didn't realize you were switching. I would have mentioned that in my previous post...

Way to go on the right move! :)

Let me fill you in on some of the advanced stuff with Limewire...

That was from post 173. Now, from post 176: (If you are still having problems, follow these guidelines)

The best of luck with the Titanium and Limewire. :)

Fear the King.

5. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

the best p2p program

Drumbeat is by far the best program out there. It just came out a few weeks ago. This thing connects to all the servers on the planet that serves mp3. Everytime I start it it says that there is approx. 30 million files available for a total of 1 petabyte. That's PETABYTE, not gigabyte or terabyte. Go here and check it out. Up until then i was using limewire which connects to the gnutella network and there is a new one called Neo which connects with Kazaa. Drumbeat will connect to much more than that.

http://drumbeat.info/

foofan

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

and if you get VPC, you can run stuff like kazaa and winmx

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Regarding Drumbeat...

I am aware of an OS X version in progress, but I have a feeling that it is also going to cost $30. I do not pay for Limewire, although I will admit petabytes does make me faint in happiness...but I would not want to pay for it. Plus, I checked out the reviews by people at CNet with the OS Classic and I was not thrilled. People were complaining about stability and a poor interface.

I would rather stick with what I have been using. Besides, I am basically getting all that I need to find that I could not find on the internet. So I am happy. :)

Fear the King.

8. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

paying is fine by me

Normally I would agree with not paying, but when i have petabytes worth of music and movies at my disposal I'll be glad to pay. Just think about how much you'll be screwing all those record execs who are sitting in their mansions! Don't worry about the artists either, just make sure you buy a ticket the next time your favorite bands come to town.

foofan

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'll think about Drumbeat...it seems as if it has a LOT of potential, considering that these guys are supporting OS X and the application is not even that old. And petabytes...oh man...I think I am in a trance... :rolleyes: But for now my parents are kind of on a dinero situation. So I will have to stick with Limewire and the lousy gigabytes until a little later.

But I will keep Drumbeat in my mind until I feel ready to switch.

Fear the King.

10. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I love how the developers of drumbeat have concentrated on the mac first :p Classic version already available, X version soon, and windows not for a few months. I like it :D