Mac/PC multiplayer games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Dec 16, 2004.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

This may be a dumb question, but what game support multiplayer with PC and Mac clients? I'm a fan of FPS's, and most of my friends have PCs, so I want to know what games I can play with them. I also wanted to be sure that Warcraft III and Diablo II could be played with Macs and PCs in the same game.

Also, while I am at it, I was wondering if anyone with an iMac G5 1.6ghz can tell me how it performs gaming for them. I'm not a hardcore/huge gamer, but I do like to play the occastional game. I was actually pretty satisfied with my iBook G4 933mhz gaming abilities. It handled UT2k3 pretty well, and WC3 was good in single player, at least. (I don't have it anymore, so I can't test any games out for Mac/PC multiplayer myslef).

Thanks in advanced,
    Rob

2. astupiddream macrumors newbie

I know warcraft III for sure works. I just did it the other day playing on my powermac against my PC roommates.

3. tinydancer macrumors regular

The Medal of Honor series is a great fps. The multiplayer action is good and shared between both PC and Mac users. IMO you can't go wrong with Medal of Honor.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Cool, thanks for the info guys... how about Battle Field 1942, Unreal 2k3 and 2k4, and Halo?

Rob

5. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Those will all play against PCs I do believe. I'd also recommend Call of Duty, great game. Don't forget StarCraft, either, probably the best game of all time in my opinion, though I don't want to start an argument about that.... I've got a G5 1.6 with very similar specs to the iMac and it runs all those games fine, though in the future it won't due to the crippling graphics card, so be wary of that. Also make sure you put more RAM in that iMac. Good hunting.

6. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks for the info Rocksaurus. I played the Call of Duty Demo and really liked it... however I am a Linux user at the moment, so going to Mac will actually be a huge increase in available games! ;-) I used to dual boot, but I got so fed up with Windows I just killed the whole install... so I haven't played any games in a long time!

I was considering the PM 1.6 or 1.8 just so I could upgrade the GPU as time went along, but when you add in the cost of the monitor, etc. the iMac is just such a great deal. I also love the way it looks, big improvement over the iMac G4, imho. If I ever decide that I just have to have something with a better graphics card my wife can always inherit the iMac ;-). I'm also hoping that before I buy mine (early Feb) maybe they will randomly decide to put a real video card in them :p. (Unlikely I know...)

7. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

I'll second that Call of Duty recomendation. I have it, play against my PC friends all the time. I also have Unreal Tournament 2004, VERY fun, and yes, its Mac and PC together.

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

CoD LAN?

Sorry to hijack this thread a tad but I've been having difficulties joining a LAN that me and a few PC buddies have set up. I have no problems seeing them on our makeshift network via a hub, but on the CoD multiplayer, I cannot see any games and have to sit back and watch while the PC's have all the fun. Any thoughts??

9. rccola70 macrumors regular

Yes! It is very possible that your Mac will work with PCs on a LAN for Call of Duty. I play against my brother constantly on my lan and he's got my old PC. :p
    The only problem that I am having is that the patches for Mac are coming later than the ones on Windows. For example, The Call of Duty: United Offensive for mac is still on v.1.4 while the PC is now on 1.5, thus making me not able to see the LAN server he makes or any other internet server running v.1.5...Kinda frustrating..

10. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

UT 2004 and never look back! :D

It's a GREAT game, with lots of variety, and endless quantities of outstanding free add-ons. Maps, vehicles, weapons, characters, mods, mutators, new gametypes - even entire new commercial-quality games that are no relation to UT on the surface. Fantasy, WWII, even platformers and top-down games with OpenGL effects.

It's worth the money and more. It's like buying one game and getting hundreds. And it plays cross-platform, voice chat and all.

The newest demo:
    http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18034

Some links to start grabbing freebies:
    http://s7.invisionfree.com/Apple_Corps/index.php?showtopic=43&st=0#entry1789635

Have fun!

11. Stpauleboy macrumors newbie

Although its an older fps, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is able to be played by both mac and pc on the same server and its a great game. Look for the 1.4.1b version for the most servers playing now.

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo