MAC & PC NETWORK DOWNLOAD TAKING THE P***

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JW8725, Jul 12, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

So I just got my shiny new LaCie 400 gig external HD. 1st impressions...noisy sun of a B****. But then again im comparing it to my mac mini HD which is near silent.

Anyway I've connected it to my MAC and booted off it. Wow speed definately increases!

Currently BORED TO DEATH....here's why:

I networked it with my PC. I have a SATA 250 gig in there full of music that im copying over to my LaCie. I'm downloading it via ethernet connection. Altogether its 175 gig of music and its done about 40 gig. Thing is, the time remaining is a pathetic 5 hours! 5 bloody hours?? Is this normal? Should I have done it this way? man what a boring wait!

Well least something interesting is on the news to keep me occupied while I wait. London Bombings, they caught some bandits in Leeds about 5 mins from me! Oh dearie me!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1. DON'T YELL, ESPECIALLY IN A TITLE IT IS VERY ANNOYING!!
    2. Its Mac, not MAC.
    3. 250 GB in 5 hours via ethernet doesn't sound that unreasonable. If it has firewire, connect it straight to the Mac and it will be slightly faster.
    4. Sucks that you have nothing to do. Have you tried FreeArcade? They have some good mini golf games there.

3. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok down to 4 hrs now. 65 gigs done. I copied the macintosh HD over to my LaCie HD using "super duper". Its booted up fine but I've noticed my icons on my macintosh HD (the internal one) have reverted back to standard blue folders?

Also its not like windows where I need drivers as such is it? I mean thats all i need right? Just to copy the entire contents of the mac HD to my LaCie and bada bing I have an exact clone?

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Why not keep the system on the Mini's HD and use the firewire drive just to store everything else? :confused: Seems easier...isn't there a 60GB in the Mini?

5. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah ur right mate. I think i have the 80 gig one though. But its slow and gives me beachballs 24/7.

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Booting from the Firewire drive he bought would be fast cause it has a faster RPM.

That's why I think he did it.

7. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Give this man a cigar! Exactly why I bought it

8. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Yay! You gonna PM it to me?

:D

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Beachballs should not be caused by the hard drive speed of 4200 RPM vs, 5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM. We're talking about the difference in drive access times of 3 - 6 milliseconds. The throughput differential should not even be measurable unless you are doing a transfer of 10's of MB or more. Small files (which are the norm in daily operation) transfer time is just a fragment of the total latency of the system.

Beachballs are more likely due to lack of RAM or excess number of background processes.