mac-pc networking

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by dualburn001, Mar 3, 2003.

1. dualburn001 macrumors regular

Hey I was just wondering how I can network my iMac g4 and my dad's dell running win2k. Both are already on a router sharing broadband and i would like the dell to share the mac's printer as well
    Tahnks for the help.

edit: the g4 is running os 10.2

2. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Re: mac-pc networking

Really simple: In network preferences, select the ethernet adapter on the mac, then enable Appletalk

When that is complete, in finder press cmd-k to connect to the server, it will see the windoze box. Select it and connect, then follow the onscreen directions to mount the shared folders file...

People will suggest otherwise, but this is the least hassle... I have my g4 Powermac sharing the internet with windoze boxes like you, so like yours, they were technically already on the same network.

When I got my mac the applecare idiots tried to walk me through several other ways to network the computers but none worked. I hope that helps... post if you need more help

3. dualburn001 thread starter macrumors regular

nice so far
    should i change nething on the win2k box

4. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

5. dualburn001 thread starter macrumors regular

6. dualburn001 thread starter macrumors regular

and if i t helps im more interested in getting files on the dell from the mac

7. zer0army macrumors regular

steeleclipse,

I have tried your method and many others but I am never able to get the winXP machines drive to mount on my mac. I am able to see and connect to my mac through my network places in windows explorer on the PC however.

The problem on the mac is after launching the connect to the server my windows network shows up and i am able to see my PC machine. I click to connect and and it brings up a box with workgroup name, user name and password. I enter all this in but when it attempts to connect it fails everytime. I know I am entering the right workgroup and the user im connecting as has an account on my PC.

I have been trying to get this to work forever...any ideas ?

8. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

dual: it didnt work???

army: you have it all connected properly if that screen comes up.. now it comes down to user settings. On the PC, make sure there is one network name, and the pc is named. If at all possible, don't use a user name and password... thats what I do.. I don't have any probleems connecting to an XP box

9. dualburn001 thread starter macrumors regular

howd u get ur xp machine to see your mac?

10. zer0army macrumors regular

steeleclipse,

my XP machine is on a larger network where the workgroup is named HOME and my Machine is named JON. I tried connecting with just the workgroup name field filled out as HOME and left the user name and password blank. Still fails.

Do you have SP1 installed on your XP Box ?

dualburn001: If you mac is on the same network as your PC then just turn on windows file sharing in System Prefs >Sharing.

Then in windows explorer >My Network Places> then your mac should show up where any others machine on the network are

11. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

yes i have SP1... dont you? Pirate. :D

dual: you dont have to... when you mount the shared file on your mac desktop, just put anything you want to send to your PC in that file... trust me... although it may not be the most convenient way, when trying to share multiple folders, and even desktops, you are bound for trouble (between Mac and PCs)

12. zer0army macrumors regular

Yes I have SP1 as well...Was just wondering if that had anything to do with it still not working for me.

13. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Sorry man. This is definitely not my field of expertise. If you need some help with photoshop, quark, illustrator, ID2, etc. I am your man, but not for networking :D

14. zer0army macrumors regular

ok thanks anyways.....but since you brought it up I do have a question about Illustrator that I forgot about for awhile now. After installing the 10.0.3 update the startup screen still displays 10 not 10.0.3

And System info still reads 10. What happened to the updates being displayed ?

15. cubist macrumors 68020

If you see the machine (as smb://...) that's 90% of the battle. You need to log into the W2K machine. I suggest going to it and creating a local user. You may need to change the SMB workgroup. Then when you go to that machine, log in as the user you created.

It works perfectly, believe me. You just need to make sure your i's are dotted and your t's crossed.

16. dualburn001 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all of your help but sadly I have not yet been able to get it to work

17. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

go to your system preferences
    click on the sharing icon
    check the windows file sharing icon
    now look in your network preferences and find your IP address

go to the windows box
    open internet explorer
    type \\mac'sIP address in the address bar