Mac/PC on a KVM switch

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by arsbanned, Mar 23, 2004.

1. arsbanned macrumors newbie

I am getting an early G4 tower (YIKES!mobo) and would like to use it and my PC with a KVM switch. I use a MS wireless mouse and keyboard (2.0) that has PS2 connectors though it supports OS X 10.2 and up, according to the box.... My FP monitor uses either analog or DVI.
    Is there a KVM people here recommend? I actually have an Omni KVM but it uses PS2 outputs, so that is probably out.
    A little hand-holding would be nice, if anyone would care to help a guy out.
    Specific questions:
    What sort of video connector will this particular G4 use?
    Mouse? Is it USB or?
    Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A Yikes! G4 will have a standard 15pin VGA port on it and possibly an ADC port (DVI with power and USB). As DVI KVMs are a whole load of money using the analoge port looks like a good idea. It will use USB keyboards and mice. A USB based KVM should be OK.

3. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

the Yikes doesn't come with ADC, its only VGA, but thats no problem since your PC will be the same, and these switches are indeed cheaper

Keep in mind that you turn the monitor on and assign it to your mac's VGA when booting the G4 or it will freeze since it doesn't find any screen (it happened with my ex-B&W thats why ;-) )

keyboard and mouse schould not be a problem IF you have their PS/2 to USB convertors wich I think schould be in the box since they are OSX compatible (wich can only be trough USB) otherwise you'll have to get new ones, Logitech sells keyboards with both PC & Mac buttons, so the 'Windows' button is allso the 'Apple' button and mice are no problem...

good luck ;-)

4. arsbanned thread starter macrumors newbie

OK sweet, thanks very much for the replies. I'm just setting up the new beast now. It's got 576 (*I believe*) MB RAM, so it shouldn't be much worse than my kid's G3 iBook in terms of speed.
    It's in great shape. It looks new. It includes the box and all original docs as well. :D

Interstingly, with the MS wireless keyboard/mouse arrangement, you simply plug the USB connector into an available port for straight USB use OR use a PS2 adaptor on the mouse and plug that and the PS2 connector for the keyboard in the PCs PS2 ports. So no adaptor necessary. Kinda cool, if it works...

5. arsbanned thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I picked up an IO Gear Mini View Micro USB Plus unit (with audio-I want to use audio with both PC and Mac) and..well...Bzzzzzt, not good, the video was fuzzy and bascially the thing did not work. SO, I jumped in the car and went and grabbed a Belkin SOHO Omni View with audio, PS2 AND USB support and it works as advertised. I can now easily switch between the PC and my Mac and it's great. If I upgrade the Mac at some point I would need a VGA to the newer video connector (ADC?) but other than that I'm future proof.
    On another note, I'm very impressed with the speed and responsiveness of this Mac, for an older machine (what, 99?) OS X 10.33 runs very nicely on it. There's seems to be no lag. I expected dirt slow and a generally crappy experience but I'm very pleasantly surprised.
    Anyway, thanks for the tips.