Mac/PC Raven Shield compatibilty?

Discussion in 'Games' started by headcage, Jan 27, 2005.

1. headcage macrumors newbie

My mate (PC) & I (Mac) used to play Rogue Spear - it was a bit laggy but a good laugh. Has anyone suceeded in doing that PC/Mac thing with Raven Shield?
    btw: I have dl'ed the update that's supposed to make them compatible but we're still not 'seeing' each others game...

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure Raven Shield is only playable over GameRanger on the mac.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

How'd you get Rogue Spear working PC-to-Mac in multiplayer?

Anyways, the Mac and PC versions of Raven Shield aren't compatible online.

4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Which sort of surprised me at first. Tom Clancy games are popular, so I would almost expect it to be PC/Mac compatible. Think of how many Ghost Recon games there would be. There is almost always several Ghost Recon games going on GameRanger.

5. colocolo macrumors 6502

Ghost Recon is completely cross platform compatible concerning multiplayer games. You can even install the Island Thunder expansion pack (never released for Mac) with a little tweaking. No issues with Ghost Recon at all; no lag whatsoever.

The issues with Raven Shield, IIRC, were because of how the network packets were handled in the original PC version, which had some propietary API.

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Really? I thought that Ghost Recon was just playable over GameRanger...

7. applekid macrumors 68020

I don't know of anyway of Tom Clancy game that had Mac/PC network compatibility. How did you do it? And how did the OP do it with Rogue Spear?

Both games definitely aren't Mac/PC compatible right out of the box. Unless both of you know of some mods? I do know IT works on the Mac with some tweaking.

8. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

If i remember well you could do it by IP joining.

In Ghost recon if you host a game over GameRanger and a PEECEE player should be able to join but GR put a random password for each hosted game. I think we actually manage to get it work some year ago... but cant remember how.

9. colocolo macrumors 6502

It's actually pretty straigth forward - you can play either by Lan or over the Internet if you know the host's IP. Just make sure both of you have the exact same version of the game, and all the mods the host is using for the game.
    No additional configuration required.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Really? :eek:

Direct IP and LAN actually works?! I've always been told even that was impossible. Well, none of my PC friends have Ghost Recon, so I guess I can't test it myself. Thanks for the heads up though.

11. headcage thread starter macrumors newbie

peeeeceeeeee untideeeeeeee

we spent a lot of time horsing around dl'ing various updaters till we found the Mac/PeeCee versions that worked together - then it was only playable inside the Urban Ops section ... it was a while ago - but I think my mac version was 1.56 (?)

more power to you all

12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm...that's intresting. So if I were to have a PC playing Raven Shiled buddy (who would most likely be an online buddy) I could play him via LAN? (oh yes and I don't hqve Raven Shiled, though it's on my to buy list)

13. a2daj macrumors member

No, Rainbow Six (the original), Rogue Spear, and Ghost Recon all support Mac<->PC network compatibility as long as both computers are running equivalent versions. However, Raven Shield is different. It's multiplayer component on the PC is handled differently than previous games in that it requires some functionality that Ubisoft would not port and would not allow be ported (part of their ubi.com online service). Aspyr tried everything in their power to get crossplatform networking but apparently couldn't even get direct IP working presumably due to how the PC version works. I'm assuming it requires an ubi.com account. Maybe someone with the PC version of Raven Shield can elaborate. I thought PC Raven Shield was playable on GameSpy but I'm not 100% sure.

14. applekid macrumors 68020

Yeah, I was playing the PC version at my friend's house and you do indeed need some sort of special Ubi.com (I think that's what it's called) account. That aside, I'm sure UbiSoft is using some special network code that they're keeping close for themselves, so even if the Ubi.com account portion worked (I remembering signing up through a web browser), you have no way of getting the two separate versions connecting to each other.

15. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Oh, I see. Good thing it is popular over GameRanger.