Mac-Pc war again

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by andypress, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andypress macrumors regular

I know it's an age old question- which are better macs or pc's. I was posting in another forum when someone(giancarlo) made a stupid remark that macs belong in the first grade classroom. It started a flame war, and the topic has been going on foro 173 posts. He invents the most BS'd comments I've ever heard, and it seems like hes bill gates lap dog. I need some suggestions to stop the flaming the link is located here- http://forums.govteen.com/showthread.php?t=58877&page=1&pp=15 . Any help would be appreciated.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm not even going to look at the linked thread but... don't worry about it... first off you won't stop it... you cannot add water to a flame thread... only more fuel... and it really doesn't matter if somebody doesn't like Macs... really honestly it doesn't...

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

So you want Macrumors users to spill over to this other forum. You want to stop the thread. Easy. Ignore the idiot and DON'T POST. You are pouring fuel on the fire. Let it drop and informs the mods and ask them the close the thread.

People who slam Mac simply because they are Macs are idiots. On the flip side of the coin people who slam Windows because its Windows are also idiots.

I've never comprehended why people are so fervently loyal to brands.
    -PC vs. Mac
    -Palm vs Pocket PC
    -Sony vs. Nintendo vs. Sega (At the time.)
    -Ford vs. Chevy
    -[insert football team here] vs. [insert other football team here]

People go nuts over crap like this and it wears on my nerves enough that at a scifi con last year I plainly told 2 people who were seriously arguing about PS2 vs. X-Box to both shut the F*** up. People need to grow up and leave kindergarten behind.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's not worth trying to argue in that situation. You may do lots of work and think you've got all these killer facts - but facts aren't what people care about when they get in an opinionated argument. It's not just a Mac-vs-PC thing; you'll see the same thing in political forums, and any other highly charged discourse.

I remember arguing with someone whose basic premise was "all cops are crooked". When I said "that's stupid; provide some proof" he returned with "oh yeah? you need to prove they aren't!" :D

We've seen that happen occasionally on these forums too, unfortunately. :(

5. Independence macrumors regular

Neither is better. As far as I'm concerned, the only advantages to having a Mac are nicer looking components and Mac OS X.

EDIT: I completely agree with SiliconAddict.

6. andypress thread starter macrumors regular

"As the PC is far better in parts. Don't act like a moron and try to claim otherwise." He said that a dell 2400 was better quality than a "crappy" eMac. I own a 2400, absolute parts bin crap. I even gave him an analogy to compare to the MAC-PC arguements- of course he disamissed it as "childish" like every one of my other true comments- here it is-

A porsche boxter costs about 50 grand. A subaru wrx sti cost about 30,00. The porshe has far better quality, interior, and parts. The subaru is about above standard. The subaru will do 0-60 in about 4.9 seconds. The porsche in about 5.64 seconds. The boxter looks better. The subaru looks an average car minus the hood scoop. Does this mean that people won't buy the Porsche? Hell no. Sure the subaru may outsell it by a milestone, but the company aint dissapearing anytimme soon. The ratio of 30,000 to 50,000 is about the same as the ratio of 2,000 to 3,000.

But then he went aheas comparing a MIG-19 to an f-16, a stupid comparison, the mig is a 20yr older design. I own a modern pc, and use a modern mac regularly, but this person made PC'S out as the savior fo all humanity. My favorite comany for pc's would be samsung- that is if they ever made them.

7. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

Which is better? Both are.

It is ALL a matter of personal opinion. No one will ever be able to layout a case in pure facts as to which is better. Because just like the Porsche and the Subaru it depends on what you can afford, and what you like. I like the look of a Porsche, but to me it is not worth 50,000, so I own a Subaru, and not even a wrx. I like my powerbook, not because everything else is garbage because it isn't, but because I like it. I use Windows XP at work, do I hate it, no it serves it's purpose. But when I put down my money, I want to buy something that I like. Why would I buy a 1,600 laptop that some guy at PC Mag or Mac Addict says is the best. I do take there opinion into account, but I buy what I like. Well that ws deep enough for me, by the way, Mac's are the best.

8. i_wolf macrumors regular

the guy is a moron. no point in arguing. he doesn't want to hear that macworld/pc world bench's have been scrutinised and found to be rubbish.
    He doesn't care that they benchmarked the mac running a 3 year old version (unoptimized) in classic /emulation mode ... which is single cpu aware only... against the latest optimized and tweaked version of premiere on pc with full optimizations.
    he doesn't care that they used different mp3 encoders. Why didn't macworld use a cross platform encoder like lame... hell if i was to compare pc's i could easily make one pc seam faster than another by running lame on one and music match on another. lame is about 3 times slower! but 3 times better quality!
    He doesn't care that they don't use the same version of software on each platform
    Nor does he care that in the game benchmarks they used different video cards with different memory configurations. Nor does he probably care that since then apple has released newer 3d drivers in x.3.2 that provide big FPS increases in games.
    The fact that Macworld 'benchmarked' like this and the G5 actually put up a good show says to me that its a serious piece of kit. To even keep up when in such an unfair setup is amazing.
    In RECENT tests over at barefeats where the used the SAME version of software on both platforms it was the G5 doing the booty kicking and NOT the athlon 64 of dual opteron! And to quote him... it got smoked! :p
    Same story when they recompiled apps over at arstechnica forums.. open source apps where they found that the IBM PPC970/G5 at 2GHz (single cpu) was over three times faster than a P4 2.6 with hyperthreading in fluid dynamics, Jet3d etc...

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I've noticed one thing in common about these sorts of threads:

The iniator of the thread NEVER sets the assumptions up. Giancarlo seems to be assuming a guy building his own PC and running Windows 2k. You're assuming the average person who would be buying either a new PC or a new Mac OEM. That implies that Windows XP is installed rather than 2k and that the computer is not being home-built.

SO WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU SAY SO TO BEGIN WITH? At least that way you could tell him to get back on topic whenever he talks about how he can build a competitor to the eMac for $230.

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Well i think macs are better just cause and PC stands for Piece of Crap.

LOL:D i couldn't resist -- no need to respond to this comment.

Note: I'm gonna say it anyway ... because i know someone will point it out -- i know PC stands for Personal Computer :rolleyes: )

And i agree ... macs to belong in first grade classrooms

they belong in every k-12 classroom

11. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

A simple rule of thumb for me is this...

Car A Car B

Car is twice as exspensive as Car B

Car b has better wheels than Car A

Etc etc

One thing that puts them together they both do the same job you sit in it you start it up you drive around.

From A - B Simple clear

As a personal note i like both formats Both give me choice both give me freedom. I dont have to use the OS's that comes installed on them i can use Linux or what ever. Etc

So in the end its up to the end user and no one else. No one forced me to buy a Mac or a PC I just did....

12. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Knowing it's a flame, why bother? The best computer is the one that works for YOU. It has nothing to do with Mac or PC.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This argument is so pointless, why even bother.

[​IMG]

14. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I even registered to post this.

I wouldn't take Giancarlo too seriously, I happen to know him. He used to post on the Apolyton Civilization site for a while and once threatened to have me thrown out of a helicopter.

Among other foibles he's admitted himself that he's a committed fascist and admirer of Franco and Pinochet (he's also gay, which makes his support of fascism really weird). All in all he isn't to be taken seriously and tends to post wild unsubstantiated lunacy.

If you want to see some of his work go to Apolyton and search for posts under the username "Fez", some of it is quite funny. He once said to one poster:

"You provide no evidence... you provide NOTHING... and yet you want to destroy capitalism... you criminal."

This has become a classic phrase on that site.

15. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Lol. It's Ford vs. Holden :D Come to Australia! (Holden's part of the GM group if that means anything. I believe your little Pontiac GTO or something is a rebranded Holden Monaro)

16. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

My favorite quote from that thread.

P-Worm

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

People who post argumentive threads are doing it just to argue....it can be the Mac/PC, God/No God, Creationism/Evolution, insert any opposing political ideal here....

You get the picture? If he's not willing to back down from his position to see a middle ground (there is one), he's just a zealot who's happier arguing than trying to hold a intelligent discussion. We've had plenty of these discussions here, and they don't last long anymore since, as you can see from some of the first responses above, most members understand the situation and aren't emotionally swayed into pointless arguments.

Your best approach is to let him rant on his soapbox....he's only happy when defending his position - take that away from him and he's got nothing.

D

18. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I work with Macs and PCs and Macs are better at creative stuff; they are faster and easy to use in this area. The problem with Windows in the ease or use area, is that Windows is basically a copy of Mac OS and a few other OS's. However, M$ seem to have mainly copied the parts of these OS's that were not very good. So Windows ends up being harder to use. For example, I find it so much easier using Photoshop on my Mac, than PC.

But PCs are better at gaming, plus they are cheaper.

19. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Man what a flame war, I'm glad our mods keep things under control here.

20. andypress thread starter macrumors regular

I tlooks like he's going to stop arguing. I wonder why.:p

21. Independence macrumors regular

Umm... they're the same program, regardless of what OS they're running on.

22. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    who cares we all know which ones we prefer haha

23. Oblivion macrumors newbie

24. bannedagain macrumors member

You've posted this before.
    However I'm not alowed to comment further

25. crackpip macrumors regular

The argument of Mac vs. PC is very relevant, especially to mac users. Meeting in a middle ground is simply a cop-out. Its fine if this issue is not important to you. Ignore it. No one is forcing you into reading these threads.

We, who fight for the Mac platform, are needed. We chose the best tool for the jobs we do, but people are telling us that we are wrong. Outright dismissing our sometimes expert opinions without considering the merits. How many on these forums, go to a University where Macintosh is not supported? How many work for a company where they have no choice in the matter of platform. How many people work in a department that uses predominately macs (such as many dtp depts.) but are poorly supported or even sneered at by the IT people that are supposed to help? I know many people in these situations. I, personally, had to spend a tremendous amount of effort to get approval for the purchase of Macs, when, for my situation, they were quite clearly the superior choice in every aspect including cost.

I'm a Ph.D. student studying Meteorological turbulence modeling. My research funding, my future credibility, my available free time, and countless other things are heavily dependent upon my productivity. Why shouldn't I be able to use the tool that will help me do my best? Because most other people use a PC? I'm sick of having some bureaucrat tell me what I need to use, just because every 12 year-old that wants to play computer games uses a PC.

So if you value your right to use macs, take a stand. Don't listen to these people who think this fight it pointless. Given the increasing amount of time we are spending in front of a computer, and the decreasing amount of free time. I say this argument is more important than ever before. Do what you can to promote weakening the grip that M$ has over the world. Not everyone will appreciate it, but everyone will benefit from the ability to choose.

crackpip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.