Mac & PC wireless network problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snapnscrap, Dec 28, 2006.

1. snapnscrap macrumors newbie

Hi to all,
    I am new here and have been lurking for a few weeks. I am new to Mac, purchased a MacBook Pro about a month ago and really like it.

I have a problem with my wireless set up. I am a complete dummie on the wireless set up and am getting a bit frustrated. I have a Dlink 614+ connected to a Dell desktop running WinXP. I can connect to the internet with the MBP but I cannont share files. I have tried to ping the pc from the MBP and it fails but I can ping the MBP from the PC. I want to be able to print from the MBP wireless. Can I do this via the PC if I can get them to communicate? Do I need another router? Any suggestions, help, directions will be greatly appreciated. TIA, Deb

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hi,

- When you say "I have a Dlink 614+ connected to a Dell desktop" - do you mean that literally? (if so, that could explain a lot of the problems) You should have the D-Link connected to your cable/dsl modem instead, with both computers using it to access the internet either via Ethernet cable or wirelessly.

- How is the printer hooked up to all this? Assuming it's on the XP box, did you turn on printer sharing in XP?

- What specifically do you mean by "cannot share files" - e.g. share files exactly how?

3. snapnscrap thread starter macrumors newbie

I have satellite internet so I have the Dlink connected to the satellite modem then I have the PC connected via ethernet cable to the router.

I have the printer connected to the pc (usb connection). I have print sharing on but since the MBP will not communicate with the PC I have had no luck at printing.

I can't 'see' any of the files on the PC from the MBP of course I haven't been able to connect/communicate to the PC from the MBP. I hope I am making sense as I really don't have a clear understanding of networking etc.

Thanks!!

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

5. Gee macrumors 65816

6. snapnscrap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links and that is what I used to set up the network. But my MBP still will not communicate with the PC. I have turned off the firewalls to my PC, I have double checked all the IP address and still no luck communication MBP to PC. The PC will recognize the MBP. Any other suggestions??? TIA Deb

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The PC is seeing the mac?
    The folder name that you are using to share files is readable by the mac( no offending characters)
    How is your router set up?

Modem>>Router>>>>PC & mac?

Bless

8. snapnscrap thread starter macrumors newbie

The folder name is mac, no other characters. The set up is modem, router, pc (ethernet) mac (wireless)

Deb

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Strange..I have the same setup and I share files between PC and the mac. I used that link as a reference and it worked.

I'm just throwing question out there okay so don't get annoyed:)

Is your pc set up to share?
    Are you able to get connect to the internet on your mac?
    How is your router settings?

Bless

10. snapnscrap thread starter macrumors newbie

Not annoyed at all, appreciate all the help and info!

yes, pc is set to share.

Yes, I can connect to the internet wirelessly on the mac. I did have a problem and it was VERY SLOW so I found some info on the forum regarding settings. I did change some settings.

Do you need the exact settings?

Deb

11. snapnscrap thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac & PC wirelss network problems update

Finally figured out why my Mac was not communicating with the PC. It has to do with the settings in the PC Norton Firewall. I turned it off (at least I thought I had) and it still wouldn't communicate. So, I went in and changed the settings on the firewall that allow my Mac access.

Thanks to all those that gave advice. Deb

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Glad you found the problem. Back when I had a McAfee firewall on a Windows box, I ran into a very similar issue - it would block stuff that I'd thought I'd specifically allowed. Makes debugging a problem the pits.