Mac performa 200

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Togglehead, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Togglehead macrumors 6502

Hey guys....im fairly new to mac, after a 12 year break from it, i think its about time to get back into it.

I dug my performa 200 out of storage recently, and the bad boy worked FINE when it was put into storage (almost 8 years ago) but i am NOT suprised that something doesnt work now....lol

Go easy on me....im a doofus with macs....thats why im here. ;)

Anyway so i powered it on, and i get nothing but a B&W checkered screen. I know it has those two buttons on the side of it....one is a command button....one does something else....something bad i remember.....neither of them do anything with the checkered screen.....

Where should i start?

2. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Do you actually get an icon in the middle of the screen, like a floppy disk wiht a ? on it?

3. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

no no..long before that.....just powered on...then B&W checkers....thats it

4. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    that has happened to my Classic II before. I usually turn it on, then filip the switch back to off after the checkers apear on the screen. Then, after about 1 second, i turn the computer back on. I hear that this problem is related to the motherboard, does yours have any leaking capictors or anything?

5. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

ooo boy i dunno....its been moved around a lot so a myriad things could be wrong....i'll check that out, see if i can see any at a glance....

*digs out soldering iron* lets see if my smokers hands are still steady enough....lol

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Isn't this the machine with a system folder built into ROM, accesable (spelling?) by hitting command + option + x + o or something like that on startup?

7. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

i really dont think its even getting that far....

as far as i remember yes....it did not need a boot disk....it always gave me the little mac with a smile....and booted to finder

now...power on....and by the time the screen gets juice....i could be playing checkers on it

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First step with any machine that old is to replace the PRAM battery, I can't remember off the top but it is probably a 1.2AA 3.6V Lithium battery, available at Radioshack for about $10.

Then you have to determine if the hard disk is actually spinning. The small (40 Mb) SCSI hard drives from that era had a problem with "stiction" where the grease used to lubricate the drive actually solidified and prevented the motion from starting. If you broke the inertia (with a carefully placed whack with a screwdriver handle), then they would sometimes staart, and run long enough to copy the data off.

9. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

10. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

Sounds like a part is failing on the analog video board. You can board level repair the flyback, if you are old school soilder and flux friendly.

Be careful... They call it a flyback, because if you touch it without discharging it, you can fly back - out of your seat!

:eek:

11. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Only on a Classic, IIRC...or some other compact Mac

12. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

video board huh?

you think that would cause the machine not to boot though? That different from PCs....sometimes they will still boot, but with no video

I'll crack her open this week and let you guys know if i see anything on it

13. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

The Performa 200 is a rebrand of the Classic II

14. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont see anything out of the ordinary in there (i know sometimes you cant see things, but a glance cant hurt)

what are somethings i can do to try and get her booted assuming the MB is NOT blown.....

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I had that same issue with an extremely old Zenith Data Systems laptop MFM hard drive...I was able to partially dissasemble the drive and give the motor a little push. It actually worked for a few years after that.

I'll wager that the PRAM battery is dead on that Performa - definitely replace it before trying to do any further troubleshooting.

16. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

cool cool....yeah i figured that too.....ill do that...thanks!