mac plus

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by trainguy77, Dec 13, 2005.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just wondering does anyone know how much a mac plus would sell for, i have my dads old one. It still works great. I am not intrested in selling just wondering the price.

2. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

High production machine

The Mac Plus had a production run of nearly five years, the longest of any Mac in Apple history! That means lots of supply and a lower price.

I like the later Platinum colored ones that don't yellow. One of these in original box, manuals and disks, in excellent condition, can be worth $300+.

Most modular Black and White Macs need a new flyback on the analog board. .

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    yes, the paperwork and origional disks make the value go way up.. the carring case will also! if you post a pic, i could make an estimate for you...

and wasn't the IICI the longets lived mac?

1989-1993?

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

The Mac Plus was in production (according to Mactracker) from Jan 1986 to Oct 1990 so 4 years 10 months. The IIci was in production for Sept 1989 to Feb 1993 so 3 years 5 months in production. Apparently the Mac Plus also holds the title for the greatest range of OS's it is able to run of any Mac - System 1 thru to OS 7.5.5.

I have run system 1.1 thou to 6.0.4 on mine, it needs a HD to run anything much higher, which I don't have.

5. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I run OS 6 on mine, it has a 40 mb hard drive, if my memory serves me right.

6. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

the hard drive is external right?
    you must be right on the ram, as 4mb was the plus's MAX.

7. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

oh, ok... I can't tell the difference between system 1.1 and system 6.0 :D

8. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes its external, it fits under the machine just nice. As I recall its made by lacie.:)

9. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

There really is not that much difference between System 1 & System 4 just minor details. Today the updates would be incremental updates i.e. 10.1, 10.2, etc rather than a whole OS number update for the same changes. The early OS's where amazingly simple and elegant you really could learn how to use it from scratch in an hour or so. System 6 is quite a big update and it really should have been System 2. If you have an old Mac and want to try out System 1.1 the disk image is available here: http://www.nd.edu/~jvanderk/sysone/