Mac PowerPC Switchers.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kksolano, Apr 10, 2006.

1. kksolano macrumors member

kksolano

I’ve noticed scanning the different forums that there are a whole lot of people with PowerPC based Macs switching just because of BootCamp (Running Photoshop native) & its fast!! and also what OS X 10.5 might offer specifically for Intel Macs.

What I’m worried about is the rate of evolution of exclusive programming & software from one processor plant to the other. In just a week or two things have moved so fast! Is this just a one off or is it the hint of things to come?

Do you think PowerPC Macs owners should be worried about left behind sooner then they’d expect?

What do you think?

2. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

I'll worry about it when it happens. And for most applications it won't bother me to be a version or two behind if they stop making new PPC versions before I'm ready to get a new computer.

Dealbreakers for the PowerPC for me would be: no modern web browser (I don't see that happening for a long long time), no PPC version of the latest FileMaker Pro (assuming I continue to be an FmPro developer by occupation of course; and once again I don't see this coming around the corner any time soon).

Things that would sweeten the attractiveness of the Mactel subplatform and perhaps get me to switch sooner: a solid OS 9/PPC emulator with full networking support (SheepShaver is crashprone and doesn't network); absence of intrusive DRM caca that I worry about on Intel (nothing happening yet but let's see what happens in the next 3-5 years).

I assume I'll get an Intel Mac some time around 2011-2012 anyhow (current PB-17" is brand new).