.Mac Pricing + Pros & Cons Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HelixOmnimedia, Dec 3, 2006.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2006
    Traveling The World

I'm in two minds about buy a .Mac account to host a website for my university work.

I've created a small 'test site' with two podcasts, a movie trailer, and three .pdf scripts for downloading, and the total size when "published to folder" is 18.2MB. There is A LOT more going onto the site, so I assume it's going to exceed the 1GB apple gives.

I'm in the UK and looked at the prices. £68.99 (annual price — includes 1 GB combined .Mac Mail & iDisk storage) - This is the basic package that Apple offer.
    If it exceeds the 1GB do i pay another £34.99 on top of the annual price for another 1GB?

I've also searched for another host and ukhost4u.com offers 2GB for £39.99.
    The only things is, I don't know what iWeb/.Mac features i will loose out on. Any ideas?

Even a list of the Pros & Cons to help me make up my mind.

THANKS to anyone for help and advice.
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i believe without .Mac, you cannot use the blogging or podcasting features.
  3. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2006
    I bought .mac with my first mac, a powerbook in the end of '03. I set up the email and began to use it for everything. It was stupid, since i don't use any of the other features. Im trying to switch everything to my gmail account, but i can't because if someone tries to email me at my ,mac then it will get bounced.
  4. Mhill macrumors member

Oct 24, 2006
    Essex, England
    Have a look on Ebay.com you can pick .mac up there silly cheap and there is no postage as all you need is a code so it can just be mailed across.
  5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    I second the eBay recommendation. I bought my last subscription for $40 USD, and plan to again next time it comes up. For that price it's worth it to me.
  6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    Yeah, I know a lot of people that do this in the US as well. You can save quite a bit going this route. Just be sure to get it from a seller with good feedback.
  7. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2006
    Traveling The World
    A HUGE THANKS to everyone who suggested eBay.

Until last night i had a touch of eBayphobia - but i decided to give into my fears and check it out.
    Well i got it, a .Mac Account (boxed packaged, sealed, from v.good positive feedback) and it only cost me £30! ($59) including international shipping! That's a saving of £38.99!! if i had bought it from the UK Apple Store.

Again, THANKS:D
  8. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2006
    this is correct
    i got it for the same reasons. actually i got the family pack that gives you more accounts.. so make one account for your site, one for school work