Mac printing to PC printer over network...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Calvinatir, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

Im in a little trouble here. I was helping out a client with their new 17" powerbook and airport express. So I fix all of their stuff and they ask me to make the powerbook print on the HP All-in-one printer connected to the Dell PC. This didn't sound like too hard of a task, so I jumped on it. I installed the printer drivers on the Mac, easy. I connected and 'shared' the printer on the Dell. The computers see eachother no problem. I mounted drives from the PC on the Powerbook and file sharing is no problem. But, when i go to add a printer on the Mac and then access the PC (they are on the same workgroup) i do not see the printer. This baffled me at their house for a couple hours, reseting and changing things up. Does anyone know something that I am overlooking? THe Dell is running XP, the Mac is running 10.3.7 and both computers have all the drivers installed for the HP all in one. I need this by tomorrow (thursday) at 2 PDT if possible! Thanks for the help ahead of time! I don't think I've left anything out, but if I have, tell me. THANK YOU!

(I just bought a Mac Mini loaded (1.42, 80GB, AE, BT, BT M&KB) Yea!)

2. Calvinatir thread starter macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

3. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Printing

Hey

Just a thought, did you 'share' the printer on the XP machine?
    Do you have printer sharing 'on' in the Network settings?
    Can you print from another windows machine?

FireArse

4. Calvinatir thread starter macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

Yes, I 'shared' the printer in XP and printer sharing is on. There is not another windows machine on the network, but if you open up "Workgroup computers" on the XP machine, the XP machine shows up and inside of it is the printer. Im just stumped...arg

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    go on the hp site check if that model specifically allows shared printing i know some printers cant be shared over a net work

6. meanmachine macrumors newbie

Is there a firewall in the router active? I have used the setup you describe at my home prior to buying an HP 5850 (wifi and ethernet deskjet).

At that time I used an HP g85 all-in-one. and it was hooked up to a windows2000Pro laptop that acted as the print server. That worked like a charme, although ONLY the printer would work, not the HP-controls!! for that I needed to hook my powerbook up via USB.
    Please check the firewall settings in XP as it "tries to help" by obscurely do stuff for you.

There is also rendevouz software for windoze that could make this stuff easier? check version tracker.

my 0.002cts
    --meanmachine

7. Calvinatir thread starter macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

interesting, I will try disabling the firewall in SP2 first thing tomorrow to see if that works. I'll hunt version tracker too..thanks

8. AlephNull macrumors member

And if that doesn't work, and the PC has some kind of Internet Security, such as Norton, you may need to go into the advanced settings and deactivate the Windows File/Printer Sharing setting.

Go to Personal Firewall --> Configure --> Advanced Tab --> General, and then scroll down to the File Sharing option.

I had this exact same problem and Norton was the culprit. Hope this helps! :)

9. Calvinatir thread starter macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

The ordeal is OVER, if anyone has any questions about printing from a mac to a printer on a PC, ask ME! I got it to work! phew!

10. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

What did you do, I'm having the exact same problem (HP all in one connected to Dell computer shared over wireless network)

11. Calvinatir thread starter macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

My client actually had a print server (cheap one from linksys), so i hooked up the printer up to the Dell with the parallel cord (so i could do scanning and whatnot) and then hooked up the USB into the print server. THen i had to change the clients router to the 192.168.0 protocol from the 10.10.10 that it was on. Then i hooked up the print server to the router then to the computer and to the printer. THe linksys print server actually hosts IP printing and Appletalk printing. THe Mac can only see the appletalk printer, so when on the Mac you "Add a printer" and select appletalk. It shows up as a postscript printer. You HAVE to use a laser HP printer driver or it will print MANY pages of white and scrambled text. after a few hours of trial and error i got the system working. PHEW...if you have more specific questions, ask them! :)

-Calvin