Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EskimoJoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
I just got my iBook Mac today. I'm somewhat of a PC user, but liked the fact that I could get 6 hours out of the battery for the iBooks. So, it's no surprise that I have a wireless and wired network of about 3 PC's. The PC that has my laserjet 1000 is set to share the printer across the network. IIS is installed as well as IPP and HTTP printing. I've tried various configurations on the MAC. I tried Samba, and I tried the built in Windows printing (Using OS X 10.3). It actually sees the network and the printer. There is no specific driver for the 1000, but there is one for the 1200 which isn't all that much different. The 1200 driver should work. It never makes it out of the Mac OS print QUEUE (or KUPS, as I have some confusion about the integration of FreeBSD UNIX with AT&T extensions). At any rate, it says it is printing, and continues to say that. Nothing happens. Any ideas? I thought about resolving it with a Linksys print server, wireless version. It supports AppleTalk, but I'm not sure if it will support Windows simultaneously.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
EskimoJoe said:
I just got my iBook Mac today. I'm somewhat of a PC user, but liked the fact that I could get 6 hours out of the battery for the iBooks. So, it's no surprise that I have a wireless and wired network of about 3 PC's. The PC that has my laserjet 1000 is set to share the printer across the network. IIS is installed as well as IPP and HTTP printing. I've tried various configurations on the MAC. I tried Samba, and I tried the built in Windows printing (Using OS X 10.3). It actually sees the network and the printer. There is no specific driver for the 1000, but there is one for the 1200 which isn't all that much different. The 1200 driver should work. It never makes it out of the Mac OS print QUEUE (or KUPS, as I have some confusion about the integration of FreeBSD UNIX with AT&T extensions). At any rate, it says it is printing, and continues to say that. Nothing happens. Any ideas? I thought about resolving it with a Linksys print server, wireless version. It supports AppleTalk, but I'm not sure if it will support Windows simultaneously.
The LaserJet 1000 is a PCL-5e-based printer. You should download and install GIMP-print, which will also install a set of CUPS print drivers. At least two PCL-5 drivers are included. One of them may solve your problem.

EskimoJoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005

I'm running Windows XP Professional with IIS services installed, using print sharing. All of these systems are connected via a Linksys router. I tried the print server, as it supports rendevous/apple talk. I switched shared lasers to the Samsung ML-1740, as it's suppose to support MAC. I can't seem to find any drivers after I install though, only plugin files. Ironically the only printer I've gotten to work is the OfficeJet 6110. So it is definately driver related.

EskimoJoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Resolved

Well, I finally got the Samsung laser to print on the Mac. I installed the driver and nothing happened. Rebooted, and it still wasn't there. And then I was trying something totally different, and all of a sudden it was there. Very strange. But it's working now. I like the print server option better anyway, because I don't have to boot up my base PC to be able to print to this printer. I couldn't get the HP laserjet 1000 to print from the print server even for windows based machines. It apparantly isn't compatible with the print server. It's a shame I had so many of those issues with the LJ1000. I really liked that printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.