Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Hi,

First, you guys are an amazing resource and thank you so very much. I've been able to find tons of useful information going through the forums.

I just put in some Xeon 5355s into my stock Mac Pro 1,1. The upgrade seemed to go well, but after I put it all back together, the computer turns on, but I don't get a signal to the video card.

It's a stock, base model Mac Pro with the NVidia 7300 (I think that's the one) video card.

The Mac Pro's at work, so I was wondering what I should look for when I go in tomorrow to troubleshoot/fix. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks so much.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Do you get a startup chime? Have you tried the video card in another slot? Is there another Mac Pro you can pinch a video card from to test? Were you having any video issues before the upgrade? Have you tried SMC reset?

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Do you get a startup chime? Have you tried the video card in another slot? Is there another Mac Pro you can pinch a video card from to test? Were you having any video issues before the upgrade? Have you tried SMC reset?

Don't remember the startup chime, will check that out.

Will also try other slots. Didn't have issues earlier though.

Don't have access to another Mac Pro.

I'll also do the SMC reset.

Thanks so much, I'll report back when I try it tomorrow.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
So I booted it up, and there's no chime.

No luck trying other slots for the video card, but since there's no chime, that lends me to believe it's something not related to the video card.

Did the SMC reset (unplug for 15 seconds, plug back in and restart) with no luck.

When I booted it up with the cover off, the two ram daughter boards briefly flashed red. Is that normal?

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
So I took it apart, put the old processors back and still no chime.

Doesn't look like the pins are damaged, and I'm trying to see if anything came loose.

How much of the Mac Pro needs to be put back together for there to be a chime?

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Did you connect the heatsink and temp sensors correctly?

Yep. Though I noticed that the front fan never turned on. Maybe it wasn't plugged in right?

Is there some kind of on-board diagnostic, like a series of lights that can tell me if something's not right?

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Yep. Though I noticed that the front fan never turned on. Maybe it wasn't plugged in right?

Is there some kind of on-board diagnostic, like a series of lights that can tell me if something's not right?

Yes, the diagnostic LEDs. You said something about a red LED flashing up - that's probably one of them. Go google it!

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Yes, the diagnostic LEDs. You said something about a red LED flashing up - that's probably one of them. Go google it!

The red LEDs were on the memory daughter cards and they flashed for about two seconds (or less). One daughter card has 5 GB of ram in it, the other is empty.

I Googled the diagnostic lights, and when I press the button, the trickle light is yellow. I haven't put the other parts back in yet. I'll add them one at a time and see what happens.

Will also try resetting the SMC from there and the logic board.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
The red LEDs were on the memory daughter cards and they flashed for about two seconds (or less). One daughter card has 5 GB of ram in it, the other is empty.

I Googled the diagnostic lights, and when I press the button, the trickle light is yellow. I haven't put the other parts back in yet. I'll add them one at a time and see what happens.

Will also try resetting the SMC from there and the logic board.

If I remember correctly, both RAM banks need to have sticks in them.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
If I remember correctly, both RAM banks need to have sticks in them.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Really? Because it only came with 1GB and that was in the top bank...

When I put it back together, I'll just go with the stock memory. (still removing thermal paste from yesterday's upgrade. I think I put too much on)

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Really? Because it only came with 1GB and that was in the top bank...

When I put it back together, I'll just go with the stock memory. (still removing thermal paste from yesterday's upgrade. I think I put too much on)

Thermal paste on memory? Am I missing something???
Usually you onlyput thermal paste on the CPU!

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
It LIVES!

Ha ha ha!

After taking it apart, cleaning off the thermal paste, reapplying it, resetting the logic board and SMC from the button inside and putting it all back together, the Mac Pro lives!

Registers as two 2.66Ghz unknowns (with 8 cores), but that's because I haven't applied the 2.1 firmware update. For some reason, it keeps bugging me to connect to the Internet even though it is. My guess is that my work blocks certain ports it needs.

Thank you everyone for your help. Next step is to put the SSD that my mini (early 2009) didn't like as a new boot drive for the pro.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
It LIVES!

Ha ha ha!

After taking it apart, cleaning off the thermal paste, reapplying it, resetting the logic board and SMC from the button inside and putting it all back together, the Mac Pro lives!

Registers as two 2.66Ghz unknowns (with 8 cores), but that's because I haven't applied the 2.1 firmware update. For some reason, it keeps bugging me to connect to the Internet even though it is. My guess is that my work blocks certain ports it needs.

Thank you everyone for your help. Next step is to put the SSD that my mini (early 2009) didn't like as a new boot drive for the pro.

Congrats :)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Welcome to the club :D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-12 at 6.54.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-12 at 6.54.38 PM.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 80

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Firmware flash will take care of that unknown :)

Yeah, I have the utility, but it doesn't want to run. Every time I try, it says that I need to connect to the internet (which it was) and then closes. I'm guessing my IT dept has some ports blocked...

Quick question: If I upgrade to a video card that needs a power cable, where are the included ones in the Mac Pro? I didn't notice them when I did the CPU swap. Are they tucked away somewhere?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Yeah, I have the utility, but it doesn't want to run. Every time I try, it says that I need to connect to the internet (which it was) and then closes. I'm guessing my IT dept has some ports blocked...

Quick question: If I upgrade to a video card that needs a power cable, where are the included ones in the Mac Pro? I didn't notice them when I did the CPU swap. Are they tucked away somewhere?

They're for sale on ebay, not included. the headers are right near the SATA ports for the ODD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.