Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hendrik94

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Germany
It was a Pain to get it working as an fresh install but it's fine now somehow.... I Installed on an 3TB RAID Drive.... There's one Problem with that... Both HDD's in the RAID have their own Boot OSX.... everytime i Reboot in one drive the Boot.efi get's replaced... by the original one's
So everytime i wanna Boot the Mac crashes the fist time... but in the Second boot all is fine?!

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State

mikehend

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Owosso, MI
I installed El Capitan on an external SDD attached to my rMBP and then overwrote the boot.fi files in /usr/standalone/i386 and /System/Library/CoreServices/ with Hennesie2000's boot.fi files. I then installed that SSD into my MacPro 1,1 and am able to reboot to my new SDD.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-os-x-yosemite.1740775/page-65#post-20283936

go to post # 1616 to retrieve Hennesie2000's boot.fi files. You can either choose the grey or black background there.

This may be a dumb question to some, but I followed the above procedure and can't get the boot.efi file to delete from the /System/Library/CorServices/ folder...any tips?

Thanks,
Mike

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
As Administrator:

Code:
sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/your_drive-name/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

...will make it editable, etc.

Per flowrider's response, the extant thread holds a wealth of information....

Reactions: JedNZ

peterhso

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
Thanks to Flowrider, Macdctr and splifingate I got it up and running on mine. Everything is working great except one thing:

After install I activated Filevault on my main drive like I always do on my machines. Encryption went fine, but the next time I rebooted it starts without the GUI login interface. Only terminal-text login. I have to type in username, choose to start computer and then password. This would not be a big hassle usually, but as I have and PC version of the GT 8800 graphics card in my Mac Pro 1,1 it does not show boot screen. I have to type it in blindly every time. So my question is really two questions:
1. How do I get back the GUI version of the login screen
- or -
2. How do I flash a Evga Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB?

I already tried flashing the card with no more luck than making it very unstable using this guide:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...ASH-a-PC-NVIDIA-8800-GT-to-WORK-on-MAC-PRO-08
and finding the rom somewhere else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Thanks to Flowrider, Macdctr and splifingate I got it up and running on mine. Everything is working great except one thing:

After install I activated Filevault on my main drive like I always do on my machines. Encryption went fine, but the next time I rebooted it starts without the GUI login interface. Only terminal-text login. I have to type in username, choose to start computer and then password. This would not be a big hassle usually, but as I have and PC version of the GT 8800 graphics card in my Mac Pro 1,1 it does not show boot screen. I have to type it in blindly every time. So my question is really two questions:
1. How do I get back the GUI version of the login screen

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-2-1-and-os-x-mavericks.1598176/page-2#post-18430424

boot.efi has come a long way since then with Pike's stewardship, but there is still no graphical login

- or -
2. How do I flash a Evga Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB?

I already tried flashing the card with no more luck than making it very unstable using this guide:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...ASH-a-PC-NVIDIA-8800-GT-to-WORK-on-MAC-PRO-08
and finding the rom somewhere else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

peterhso

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
That should explain it then splifingate ! Thanks for saving me even more work trying to figure it out.

Can some one point me in the right direction on flashing my Evga Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB. It seems everybody got it up and running except me. I searched for the file in the guide called mp8800gt.rom and flashed that to the card. (dangerous i know!) It did seem to work, at least the card still gave graphics in windows, but it gave a lot of graphical errors and seemed very unstable. In osx it did not work. Luckily I made a copy of the original rom on the card before I flashed.

Now I found this guide in Portuguese that seems to use a different rom specifically for the Mac Pro 1,1:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/254043-guidaflash-bios-nvidia-8800gt-pc-per-mac-pro/

But the rom 8800GT32.zip cant be downloaded, so i tried googling the romname, but cant really find what im looking for. Can anyone point me to the correct guide or give me some tips?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.