Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffcaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Running Windows 10 on my Mac Pro 1,1 64 bit with 16gb of RAM.. only problem is when i boot into the boot screen (holding alt) it is always black. i can select windows drive by knowing what arrow to use from experience but there never is a display. its always black and the monitor says there is no feed coming from the computer. anyway to change this? i was wondering before i hack into a higher operating system on the mac side. currently stuck on Lion. thanks in advance for any advice. completely understand if there is no work around.

jeffcaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Is it a PC card or Mac card, did you have boot screen (or Apple loading logo) before you installed Windows?
What does it say in About This Mac, HD5xxx or exact model name? Is it HD5750 or 5770?
Did you try different ports if ti is a Mac or Mac flashed card?

Look here for more info if you have PC card:
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=371.0

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,692.0.html
[doublepost=1475248748][/doublepost]In about this mac: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
I had no problems with boot menu with Windows 7. The problem only started once I upgraded to Windows 10.
[doublepost=1475249163][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1475248748][/doublepost]In about this mac: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
I had no problems with boot menu with Windows 7. The problem only started once I upgraded to Windows 10.

Thanks for the table... just saw NO EFI BOOT for that card. any recommendations for a different card that would fix the problem would be greatly appreciated if there is no work around....

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Mac's EFI shouldn't be affected by Windows installation (or any other OS for that matter).
The only things that come to my mind are try different port on 5770 and zap the PRAM.

Btw, i had Win 10 for almost a year (same machine as yours but HD7950) and it gave me problems like:
- wake from sleep always resulted in black screen (monitor disconnected)
- awful speeds with BCM94321MC wireless
- and after last Anniversary update it killed Bootcamp HFS drivers
So i reverted to Win 7 x64 and everything works again as it should...

jeffcaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
great advice... just having a hard time leaving a machine i absolutely love. especially when it can serve as a mini-heater in the winter. what OS are you running on the Mac side?

jeffcaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Mac's EFI shouldn't be affected by Windows installation (or any other OS for that matter).
The only things that come to my mind are try different port on 5770 and zap the PRAM.

Btw, i had Win 10 for almost a year (same machine as yours but HD7950) and it gave me problems like:
- wake from sleep always resulted in black screen (monitor disconnected)
- awful speeds with BCM94321MC wireless
- and after last Anniversary update it killed Bootcamp HFS drivers
So i reverted to Win 7 x64 and everything works again as it should...

btw... zapping the PRAM worked. thanks so much. was cleaning up my email boxes and stumbled upon your advice. apologies for not thanking you earlier! have a great new year. let me know if you ever upgraded to a newer OS on your mac side and whether it is worth the hassle.

Reactions: robotica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.