Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexTee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Hi all,

As the title says im in the process of working through what i need to do to migrate my MP 1,1 to a 5,1 machine. Note- I have purchased a second hand 5,1 which i will upgrade to SSD and 12 core later on but this question relates to the software migration..

So my set up which exist.
Mac Pro 2,1 upgraded from 1,1 32Bit
OSX 10.7.5
4 1 TB hard drives
1 Drive wholly for Boot camped Windows 32bit (yea i know i could have installed the 64 but too late will do if i upgrade to 10)
1 Drive for OSX operating system
2 Drive to store stuff like photos and music.

The new Mac pro has Yosemite installed on 1 Operating system disc. NO other discs.

So here is where i get confused as I have never done this before

Q1 - Do i do a new install on the new mac pro and just reload all Apps and move the normal files I want without migrating?
Q2- If i move the apps over including supporting files will there be major permission issues ? If so is there a way to fix?
Q3 - If i use migration assistant I have assumed that this will just copy all the files over including the operating system and therefore I end up having a 32bit OS on a 64 bit machine? Or have i got this way wrong? Can you use the migration tool to migrate setting but not the operating system? If so this would sort all the problems.. I am just worried that elements of the OS would migrate as well?
Q4- If i use the new installed OS disc and i plug in the two drives with all my files on (No apps on these discs) into the new machine, im guessing that there will be permission issues and therefore is there any way to do this easily? eg. i have Lightroom on the OS disc 1 and all the RAW files on Disc 2

Hope thats clear if not let me know

Thanks for any help on this.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
When I migrated from my 2,1 to 3,1 (and then later from 3.1 to 5,1), all I did was transplant the boot drive.

I haven't done a clean install since I transitioned from PowerPC to Intel Macs.

As for the SSD, you can just clone your boot drive to it using Carbon Copy Cloner.

AlexTee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Great thanks, Im guessing that the operating system when it updates to Yosemite will identify its now working on a 64k kernal and not 32? Or does it matter? If not then thats going to be the easiest migration ive done

Vladiciu

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
verona italy
sorry I do not understand, you can update it with a MacPro 2006 replacing processors with 2x Intel Xeon X5680 so that it becomes a 12-core?

and any changes that I should do?
Thanks gentlemen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.