Mac Pro 2.66 -- update?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gammamonk, Oct 8, 2006.

1. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2004
    Madison, WI
    This is from Amazon. They list only one left in stock. What'da you think?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I think that...they only have one more left in stock?
  3. kered22 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    Torrance, CA
    If Amazon had it listed like that and the Apple Store and several other online outlets suddently listed 1+ week wait times, then maybe an update would be imminent. The Amazon status just means they're on the verge of running out. LOL
  4. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    So soon? Many peoples orders from right after WWDC only arrived late last month. Definitely nothing before Macworld unless it's a really tiny update or price drop.

Actually I thought you were wondering if you should buy the one from Amazon.
  5. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    as like everyone said, it meant, and only meant that apple's stock is running out... no update

EVEN if apple store has the shipping date being 1+ week, AND amazon had "1" left in stock, it still won't mean squat

because in Apple's case, EVEN if a new one is out soon, they will still have old stock, (update is a marketing decision, it doesn't coincide with running out of stock, they'd always have old stock, even if not many... heck, some of the refurbs are actually old models that were left in stock)... with that said, even if a new one is out/updated soon, they'd still want to sell the old ones at "new" price, wouldn't you?

grow up people
  6. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
  7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    I guess a Quad isn't enough for some people..
  8. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    It would be nice to see them put a better base graphics card in the system.
  9. m3henn04 macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2006
    the only upgrade that might even exist would be when quad core processors come out. I think intel has already announced that they will be shipping them in january but the price of them is going to be astronomical. The current intel core 2 duo extreme is around $1000 for just the processor x 2 for the mac pro. Apple might release an Octo-core MacPro but I dont think they will be getting rid of the quad-core anytime soon.
  10. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    1) astronomical pricing? not quite. If you'd care to look at the intended pricing for the Xeon Clovertown chips (quad core), it isn't much higher than Woodcrest.
    2) we don't use the Core 2 Duo Extreme in the Mac Pro, it's the Xeon Woodcrest, which tops out at $851 per chip assuming a 1,000 chip shipment, and that for the 3GHz model. While the highest end quad core Clovertown will be more expensive than this, the next step down (2.33GHz x4) will also be $851.

Plus I find it likely that Apple gets some sort of good pricing on them.
    still we're agreed, the quad core will likely stay around (I'd assume the 3.0 model at least, as for some people the higher clock speed is more important for the apps they run)
  11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Dude, you've been hitting the Leinenkugel's too much (Wisconsin pride!!!). When they say "more on the way", that doesn't mean there's a refresh. The damn thing is only like 3 months old too.