Mac Pro 2.66 Vs. IMac 2.16???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MusicMan224, Dec 12, 2006.

1. MusicMan224 macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2006
    Hello all. New to the board here!

My question is I am a professional musician and I do a lot of recording at home. I decided to get a desktop to better handle Logic and Final Cut Pro. The dilemma is do I go with a mac pro or iMac 2.16. I am an electrical engineer so I understand the hardware differences between them. Im looking for info about future updates or info in general on the 2. Any inside or general recommedations would be much oblidged. In studos I have always seen just powermacs. but recently I recorded on a 24 Imac 24" and It worked just as flawlesly. So thus my dilemma begins!!!!

2. techster85 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    My advice is biased, but simple. If you want a computer that you can upgrade (to some extent) over time (harddrives, ram, PCIe cards, etc.) then the Mac Pro is for you. Also, if you already have a monitor that you like, then go with the Mac Pro. But, if space is an issue, or if having four harddrives isn't your thing, then the iMac might be the way to go. I can understand your dilemma, but really it comes down to what you want for now and in the future. An iMac is a little harder to upgrade from my understanding...hope this helps!