Mac Pro 2nd CD drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ijimk, Aug 10, 2006.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I was just curious on how you opened the 2nd CD drive on the new mac pro. I have a G5 and i use the keyboard to open the drive but how would you open the second? Hold down option key? alt key? Another question i have is say i wanted to switch from the apple keyboard how do you open the CD drive then? Is there another way other than the keyboard button in the upper right?:confused:

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

There are two ways. First hold Command (Apple) and hit the eject button. Second, when you install a second optical drive Mac OS X adds a drives menu to the right side of the menu bar, clicking on it brings down a pull down menu where you can select the drive to open.

3. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

what about say i wanted to switch away from the apple keyboard to a logitech with no cd eject key for my current G5 how would i eject then?

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The F12 key is the same as the eject key, Apple just changed the image printed on it.

5. JAT macrumors 603

That is not true. Even laptops have both F12 and Eject key. F12 is the shortcut to Dashboard, not Eject. However, holding down F12 is another way to do Eject for non-Apple keyboards, I use this constantly. I don't know how this would work with a 2nd drive, if Cmd-F12 held down would work.

I should say, that is not true with current models.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not my iBook keyboard. F12 is the eject key on mine, I've mapped F8 to Dashboard because I don't use that key.

Only on the PowerBook/MacBook Pro and the MacBook keyboard is there a separate eject key for laptops. Pretty sure the shortcut for opening the second drive is command-whatever your eject key is, be that the dedicated one or F12.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, technically, F12 and Eject occupy the same key on the iBooks but the separate function of the F12 (like all the function keys) is accessed in combination with the "fn" key in the lower-left corner.

8. JAT macrumors 603

Hence, my addition of "with current models". Sorry it was late.

9. ktiedt macrumors newbie

I realize this is an ancient thread, but... just to put the correct information out there for current OS X 10.5+ I have to hit alt/option+Eject to open the secondary optical drive...

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

On mine (2006) eject key opens both at once now, but it didn't used to.

Next keypress closes the top one, but the bottom one stays open unless I use alt+eject to close it.

Next time I use the eject key, both open, and so on and on and on and on.

But at least it's better than it used to be, when the lower one would rapidly cycle in and out and would only stop if I held it still and shoved it in and held it until the epileptic fit passed.

Now it's folie a deux.

I don't lose sleep over it, but it's annoying in a machine of this quality (and price).

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's possessed. :p
    That, or its becoming sentient, and having a tantrum. :eek: :D

12. Catch Them macrumors regular

that happened to mine for a while too and noticed it was on master or something, so i switched it to cable select and then it only opened on alt-eject

also, does anyone know how to open the second drive tray under windows?
    is it control-eject?

13. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I installed the 2nd drive myself, and I'm pretty sure I set its jumpers to Cable Select. But hey, maybe I made a mistake. Wouldn't be the first time, but even if I did it wouldn't explain why it shifted away from freaking and into dual opening without my having made any changes at all.

Possession is always a possibility. I do know this priest....