Mac Pro 3,1 temps

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by clamnectar, Jul 26, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

So I just downloaded "temperature monitor" for the first time, and I'm checking out temps on my 2.8x8 mac pro 3,1 (8x2 RAM). I'm totally ignorant of normal ranges, so I'm putting it out there -- anything amiss in these numbers?

[​IMG]

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're completely normal.

3. macrumors regular

sailmac

Agreed. Looks very similar to mine.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. My fans are generally a little on the loud side, but I guess that's just how it goes.

5. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Disassemble the whole unit and give it a good dusting. I'm doing it once a month and my MP is silent. Temps also lower a bit after that.

6. macrumors 601

brand

Loud compared to what? Other Mac Pros? The more load on the system the faster the fans will spin increasing the audible volume of the fans.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Loud compared to when I first bought it. And I do spray-clean now and then, but just through the open case -- not fully disassembled

8. macrumors 68040

666sheep

If you feel capable of doing it, I'd recommend full disassemble and cleaning. Especially if you didn't do it since you bought your MP. Compressed air won't remove big dust bunnies. Most dust accumulating areas are CPU heatsinks, front fan assembly, PSU and northbridge heatsink. It's also worth to replace thermal paste on CPU and northbridge with fresh one (high performance one like Arctic Silver MX-2, Shin-Etsu or IC Diamond would the best).

9. macrumors 6502

OS6-OSX

Agreed! I have very low temps and I clean it like this 1x a year. Every other month I just spray it out.

Attached Files: