Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
In your first post on this thread you mentioned slapping in a couple of the 3.33Ghz CPUs. ...

Q - Is the 2.4Ghz 12 core able to handle the power and cooling requirements? A - Yes, just dl SMCfan Control - it's free.

Q - Would the power supply and fans have to be upgraded to handle the new chips? A - No.

Q - Apple only offers a dual 3.06Ghz option as the highest speed for the 12 core.
Is that just based on the price of the CPUs, or are there some other hardware limitations? A - Overwhelmingly price.

GXPvince

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Q - Is the 2.4Ghz 12 core able to handle the power and cooling requirements? A - Yes, just dl SMCfan Control - it's free.

Q - Would the power supply and fans have to be upgraded to handle the new chips? A - No.

Q - Apple only offers a dual 3.06Ghz option as the highest speed for the 12 core.
Is that just based on the price of the CPUs, or are there some other hardware limitations? A - Overwhelmingly price.

Even though most of the time your knowledge on this stuff is way above my head, I am glad your here. :)

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
If you're buying a 12 core machine simply because its $1200 off the MSRP with out first determining if your software even utilizes multi core processes, well, never mind 12 of them.. its just simply foolishness..

It isn't necessarily just x86 core number count and app scalability on those. The top end RAM possible is higher. The max GPGPU core count possible is also much higher than the rest of Apple's 2012 Mac line up. Yes if apps can't scale on those either it is just as much as misguided but apps that cannot scale on neither x86 or GPGPUs cores just might be what is needed to be retired or start looking for a very different class of machine. Any new Mac Pro 2013 is likely to move along growing at least one those three metrics higher along most configurations.

Last edited:

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Thanks to all who posted advice on this thread

It's great that members take time to help each other.
With a shout-out to deconstruct60 who has convinced me to keep the "12-core deal".
You're advice here (and on other threads) has always stood out as common sense and geared toward considering our own specific needs when deciding what to buy and not just what is the fastest.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
It's great that members take time to help each other.
With a shout-out to deconstruct60 who has convinced me to keep the "12-core deal".
You're advice here (and on other threads) has always stood out as common sense and geared toward considering our own specific needs when deciding what to buy and not just what is the fastest.

We're glad to be of help. Enjoy your new machine. I am sure many people are dreaming of owning a 12 core Mac Pro.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I'm stick in a mode of uncertainty whether or not I should have bought one of these. Just hard to justify when 99% is Safari with one tab. Still cool though. Bring on those new ones at NAB!

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
I've had my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 since it was introduced in August 2006.

I finally broke down and bought a Late 2012 Mini (2.6Ghz i7, Fusion drive) for $1080 back in November. Gave the old Mac Pro to my mom.

I'm still thinking I might upgrade to the next generation Mac Pro, but given the choice between the $1080 Mini or the $3800 Mac Pro for $2500, I'd have picked the $2500 12-core Mac Pro.

Still kind of watching in case this deal shows up again.
--

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
Haha. I just got an email from amazon stating that the price was a mistake but will honor it. It seems that some people ordered multiple quantities from amazon.

Even if it's a price mistake, I still don't see the value in it. A fully loaded iMac i7 with thunderbolt storage solution is much better.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
This thread kind of got me thinking how / if I could possibly use 2x Mini's to get some of the functionality of a Mac Pro...

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Well ... in a moment of weakness ... the Amazon button was way too easy to push! :rolleyes:

Received the new 12-core on Wednesday to replace my 2008 3,1 8 core machine.

-howard
Congrats on the new toy. If I didn't already have a 2.93 system, may have jumped on it.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
It was very, very tempting. But I have waited so long for a new mac pro to be released I thought it could be some kind of Mac Pro trickery to get me to drop the ball so close to the supposed release of the 2013 Mac Pro.

The things that made me hesitate were the slower single core clock speed 2.4, sata 2 and the outdated GPU, but other then that its a solid system.

If I did pull the trigger on one I doubt I would have had any regrets.

Good score guys.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
man that was one heck of a deal if you needed one.

no more 2500$. the beauty about this is that 2-3 years later....who ever got the deal can resell and get their money back lol

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas

I did. Should be here Monday.

I wonder how many MacPro dreamers gave up and bought minis. I did about 8 months ago, but now I have one of each. :)

Let me explain why a pro machine is still a decent buy for a casual user. I have had two mac towers, both of which had a useful life of over 8 years. I have also had three imacs, none of which were worth much after 3-4 years. Furthermore, the high core count is likely to become more useful over time. Clock speeds are hardly increasing, and it seems likely that consumer computers will continue to increase their core counts.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Gotta have at least six cores these days, getting twelve for $2500 ain't bad, but there's just too many bottlenecks to address in the current pros.

Yeah, there's a few. :(

The way I figured it that 6-core is plenty and currently faster at all things besides 3D and Video stream encoding... That 12-core needs a CPU upgrade immediately but that's a major cash layout! And by the time those faster chips are reasonably priced we'll be seeing the entire machine on ebay with faster cores and all for practically the same as the cores alone.

IMO that's the price this machine should have been introduced at and now we should be seeing the sale price of like $1600 or something. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.