mac pro advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by false-Aesthetic, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. false-Aesthetic macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #1
    Let me preface this post with the following:

    My current machine is a G4 tower 933mhz with 512mb RAM.

    The tower is for grad school.

    I do not consider myself a gamer AT ALL. My future machine will be used for photoshop 90% of the time. The other 10% will be split between playing shredder chess, web surfing, paper writing and playing DVDs. Possibly I will be doing video editing....using whatever pro programs I might need. (Ths is a slim possibility)


    The photo files I use are around 1.5-2 gigs. 16bit color etc. As soon as Photoshop CS3 comes out I will have it.


    I'm set on getting the 2.66 tower with 160gig HD.


    My first question is: What graphics card do I get?

    I've heard that it doesn't really matter for photoshop. I'm pretty sure that whatever I get it'll be an awesome upgrade from what I have now. Again, I DON"T GAME.

    Question 2:

    What happens if I get 2 sticks of 512 ram and then upgrade with 1 gig stick later? Do I lose performace? Will I have to/Should I buy 2 512s later.


    Question 3:

    Does installing your own ram void the extended warranty? I don't think it does but I'm not sure.

    -----

    This is my first new computer since 2001. I don't mind spending a bit more but I'd love to keep everything under 3 grand. I really appreciate your input.



    Thanks

    T.
     
  2. bradc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2006
    Location:
    Canader eh
    #2
    First Question:

    Stick with the stock 7300, it's still a very powerful video card and will save you some money.

    Second Question:

    If you are going to add RAM, add it in pairs. This way you'll benefit from dual-channel performance. So yes, add 2 sticks of 512. However, if you're working with 1.5-2gb images, you will definitely want more than 1gb of ram. It would be similar to having a McLaren F1 with tires off of a Toyota Prius. Despite having huge horsepower(processing performance) you aren't going anywhere with those tires (RAM).

    Third:

    I don't think it voids your Warranty, but if it does, just take out your 3rd party RAM before you send it in.
     
  3. false-Aesthetic thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #3
    ram

    So if I add it in pairs

    Can I have 2 512 sticks and 2 gig sticks? Or do I need to get rid of the 512 sticks too?

    Will I lose performacne if I have a mixed "bag"
     

Share This Page