Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Please help.

background: -

I received my Mac Pro yesterday after an eventful UPS journey (has been to every airport in UK & ireland at this stage) and as I had suspected Apple have forgot to include the Airport option that I requested.

However I cant be going through the hassles of re-sending the computer back to apple, and they have agreed to refund me the airport BTO cost.

but & problem :-

I thought I'd be able to just pick up an airport extreme card and stick it in there as I did with my Powermac G5, but it seems I may have been wrong. I've only found 1 airport kit on a US website and it says NOT USER INSTALLABLE... :confused:

So am I now stuck with having to use a USB 54g dongle ?

If so does anyone know which work with the mac ?

Thanks guys.

Other than that, I'm loving the new mac-pro....

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It'll be a little tough to order yourself. You can install it though. We already have a Guide here and the Service Manual is in the lucky hands of a few.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ thanks. How easy to install is it ? I assume its not as simple as the G5 was. I dont want to have to start disassembling the innards as that would screw your waranty wouldnt it.. ?

Hannibales

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
I didn't get airport or bluetooth as a BTO option in my Mac Pro, but decided I needed them after I got it. I rang up the Bluewater AppleStore about getting one fitted and after a few weeks delay they got them in and fitted it for me, I think it was £60 ish for both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.