Mac Pro And Bluray Speculation

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 13, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Macworld has posted a roundup of recent analyst speculation on the possibility of Apple using Blu-ray in forthcoming products. Most analysts seem to agree that Apple will first include the technology on its professional "Mac Pro" line before transitioning it to its consumer products.

The exact timing of Blu-ray's introduction into the Mac Pro is uncertain, however.

Blu-ray is a next-generation optical disk format that can hold up to 25 GB of data per layer compared to rival HD DVD's 15 GB per layer. In April, TDK produced a 6 layer Blu-ray disk that could hold up to 200 GB when the single-layer maximum was pushed to 33 GB. Currently, Blu-ray players are scarce and cost over $1000 USD, and the format has seen several delays. Much of the industry is watching Sony's Playstation 3 game console which is expected to arrive in November 2006 and should push Blu-ray prices down.

Apple joined Blu-ray's Board of Directors in March of 2005.

Digg This

2. macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

So, how long till it comes to laptops? :D

And on top of that, its only going to be a viewer, right? I mean have they created any Blu-ray burners, yet?

I really don't want to buy a Macbook Pro until it has Merom, 802.11n, and blue-ray, cause I know those are all going to be standard in less than a year and I can't afford to have a crippled laptop for 3 yrs.

Hopefully it won't be too far, I've saved enough cash.

3. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yes, Blu-Ray burners for computers are already available from Pioneer and a few other companies.

4. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well I hope it doesn't come too soon. Blu-ray is just too expensive right now and it would jack up Mac cost significantly. It's also better to see how the Blu-ray vs HD DVD thing works out as well just to make sure Apple doesn't back a dead horse.

5. macrumors 6502

rxse7en

Put it in the Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro 17" and I'm all over it. Would still like to see if HD-DVD prevails.

Now, I have a plasma hdtv that'll "do" 1080i and a dvd player that can output and upscale (if needed) to 1080i--can I burn 1080i sources and play the BR disk in my dvd player OR will I also need a BR player to view HD video? 25gb per side is a nice chunk o' storage though.

B

6. macrumors 6502a

galstaph

imagine the data you could put onto those disks though!

7. Editor emeritus

longofest

Really, the only company that is actually selling laptops with Bluray drives in them currently is Sony with their Viao. Pioneer has a desktop reader, but it is very expensive (around $1000 USD). BenQ has recently announced that in late August it will be shipping a Bluray burner for a bit above $1000, but not sure if its going to be availbable in the US. The prices are pretty fixed mainly because of Sony apparently. I couldn't really go into it in the story, but there is soooo much to this whole Bluray thing, its ridiculous.

The focal point of Bluray has really turned on Sony's Playstation 3. There are a lot of conspiracy theories (that supposedly have a lot of reason behind them) that Sony isn't letting the price of Bluray players go down until the Playstation 3 comes out.

Then you have the format war between HD DVD and Bluray. HD DVD has not only beaten Bluray to the market, but is beating them on price as well, although not as dramatically as once thought might happen.

I speculate that we could see a Bluray drive as a build to order option perhaps in the first revision of the Mac Pro, or perhaps as standard in the high-end model, but that very well could not happen until the first revision like the analyst said early next year.

8. macrumors 6502

all going to be standard ? how long did it take for wireless g and dvd burners to become standard? :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 68020

ham_man

If they do decide to add it, it better be BTO only. I don't wanna buy a computer that's $500 more because of a Blu-Ray drive I don't want...

10. macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang, that would be awesome. i just hope i can buy one and put it in an external enclosure and have my mac be able to use it

11. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm sure that the drive with be built-to-order only. They are far too expensive and appeal to such a small audience (right now) that having it standard would just iritate people buying pro line equipment who don't need these drives yet because of the unnecessary costs.

12. macrumors regular

chasingapple

I say no thanks. Optical storage is way too slow! Why should I pay $1000 to get a 33GB disc that is slow on accessing when I can spend WAY LESS and use another harddrive thats 300GB+ and rewritable, or buy a 100 pack of DVD-R's for $10? I for one dont see this HD-DVD / Bluray thing getting big anytime soon, and Im sure as hell not going to rebuy my DVD collection, higher res or no higher res, I mean hell... I dont even have an HD TV yet,too damn expensive!

Apple - wait on this one please. Just put superdrives in everything and leave the combo drive in the past.

13. macrumors 6502

You'll neet a blu ray player. A non blu-ray dvd player does not have the correct laser to read a blu ray disc.

14. macrumors 68020

wmmk

Will I be able to get a reasonably priced apple laptop with merom, 802.11n, blueray burner, possibly HD, and leopard (or whatever 10.6 is called) in late 2007 or early 2008?

15. macrumors 6502a

I bet it will be BTO when it is introduced at WWDC.

16. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Yeah! Since this guy doesn't want it, neither do the rest of us!

17. macrumors 68020

wmmk

I'd think the option would come a bit later. I mean, who wants an optical drive that can currently play nothing and burn to nothing which will cost them $500-$1000 on a machine that is already very pricey.

18. macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

I think is too early for either HDDVD or Blue-Ray, maybe have it as a built to order option?

It makes more sense than to put it as standard equipment

19. macrumors 68010

HD-DVD all the way.

20. macrumors 68020

wmmk

Actually, he has a point. Bluray is not currently at a reasonable price, and doing away with combo drives would be a bigger deal than getting Bluray for at least 70% of users.

21. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good points.

I agree with your concept.

However, I wonder what the actual cost difference is to Apple for a Combo vice Superdrive? Surely it can't be that much.

22. macrumors 68020

wmmk

I respect your opinion, but why do you think that HD-DVD is better? The price aspect? In that case, I'd agree, but doubt that Apple or Sony would, because they always tend to try to have the newest top of the line stuff. Then again, Apple is a supporter of both HD-DVD an BluRay, which could really play out in an interesting way.

23. macrumors newbie

Theres movies on Blu-Ray already.. and you can buy discs to burn too already... I think a BTO option is perfectly reasonable.

24. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Well you know you'll get merom and leopard by that timeframe. Personally, I believe you'll get 802.11n and a blueray option as well - and with a blueray option should come HD as well.

25. macrumors 68020

wmmk

there are what, about four movies on BluRay? how much do each cost? If there are barely any players, what's the point of blank media? BTW, don't tell me about storage. if you want storage, get a portable 30 GB HD.I'm not saying I don't think BluRay won't be really cool. it'll just be more reasonable come MWSF time.