Mac Pro and Graphics

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeamland, Nov 15, 2006.

1. jeamland macrumors newbie

OK, I'm looking at buying a new mac pro (I haven't owned a Mac before) and with the recent release of the Nvidia G80 GPU I'm extremely hesitant:

Why would I pay the extra $$$ for the ATI X1900 in the Mac Pro? I can easily convince myself that the 7300 is not what I want, but now that the G80 is out I find it very difficult to pay the premium price for the X1900 which is not a premium card!

What do Mac users do for graphics updgrades? I wouldn't mind getting a 7300 now and upgrading to a G80 card in a few months, but I can't see any evidence whatsoever that such an upgrade will ever be possible.....

Thanks for the advice :)

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The 1900 is still a top of the line card, yes it isn't the very best card available from either of the major vendors, but well that's Apple for you. Also have you actually looked at how much an X1900XT 512mb costs? Because I'm not sure the term premium price is applicable at all.

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Not much, I'm afraid. One of the last remaining components of the Mac that hasn't gone to a more universal PC standard, like IDE hard drives, standard RAM, USB, etc. You can get what you need now, and I believe a Mac compatible G80 card will be available soon.