Mac Pro and the NEW Airport Extreme Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thepureguava, Sep 21, 2006.

1. thepureguava macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2006
    santa barbara, ca
    I visited my mac shop in Santa Barbara today they had the NEW Airport Extreme cards for the mac pro. Unfortunately nobody knew how to install them. Apple still appears to have no documentation on the subject.
    Does anybody have any idea on how to install the new extreme card in the Mac Pro???
  2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2004

Its easy. There are 3 or 4 antenaes that plug into it. THe card screws down to the motherboard.

How much was the card?
  3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

May 15, 2006
    Are these the new 802.11n type cards? Would these be included in the BTO option if I ordered a new Mac Pro today? I guessing yes!? :confused:
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Unless it is a different chip since introduction, no.

It was showing up as a BCM4311

At least the pics I've seen of the card...

Anyhow, I thought the portable chipset based Intel machines were using an Atheros card.
  5. jfalcon macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2006
  6. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
  7. jfalcon macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2006
    according to the box, if you mess anything up, its your fault. not mine. not apples.
  8. ljones macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I had the Apple Store here in Atlanta install that and the bluetooth, free installation when I bought my Mac Pro.
  9. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2006
    San Fran
    well today i went to the mac store in San Luis Obispo, CA (which was actually Mac Superstore) and got my airport installed however i am very unsatisfied with what it because the regular internet is just fine but whenever i go to download something it drops like a ton of bricks-yet when i plug in my wired connection it runs fine

it seems lots of ppl are having this problem
  10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    Apple really shouldn't be mixing Atheros and Broadcom chipsets across their product lines. It's been proven that better throughput is achieved when all cards use the same chipset on any given network. It shouldn't be that way, but it is that way.