Mac Pro and WoW...

Discussion in 'Games' started by PaulCaden, Sep 11, 2006.

1. PaulCaden macrumors newbie

I took delivery of my new mac pro on Saturday and of course had to load up WoW as a benchmark! All I can say is WOW! :eek:

My system is 2.66Ghz, 2Gb Ram, x1900xt graphics

WoW is set to 50% Terrain Distance, all other sliders maxed, Full Screen Glow off, Vertical Sync off

Framerates in Orgrimmar on Sun at 1630 GMT i.e. lots of people running around, averaged 50-60; MC run 45-60; On a Windrider 110!

Of course this is before the OpenGL improvements as promised by Blizzard have been implemented. When they arrive, this baby is going to fly!

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Hmmm ... i ran WOW on my PC with a X850XT with all the settings up full at 1680x1050 and i got better results than that. Oh and i had 4X AA on... This X1900 isn't really that good at all.

3. PaulCaden thread starter macrumors newbie

:rolleyes: Its not a PC vs Mac post, its my experience of running WoW on a Mac Pro!

Perhaps I should add a bit more comparision. I previously had a dual 867 G4 with an ATI 9800 Pro GPU and 2gb RAM. MC raids gave me 2.5 - 3 fps average, max I ever had was 32 on a Windrider...

4. liquidtrance123 macrumors member

From what I understand the coding is different on the Apple platform it will run slightly slower than similarly configured PC based systems. My dual 2gig G5 w/ x800xt runs it fairly well. But i'm sure a dual cpu PC with the x800xt will run it faster. However I'll gladly give up the speed just to play it on the OSX platform :p

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

My point was that you should kick up the resolution, kick up all the settings to max, set draw distance to 100% and switch on full AF and 4x AA (or even 6x). Why play at such low settings when your video card is crying out to be pushed!

You are right it is slightly slower, but only slightly and the X1900XT will eat an X850 for breakfast.