Mac Pro apps keep crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by crazycat, Oct 27, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Has anyone had problems with a mac pro? VLC keeps crashing on me, so does iTunes. On my G5 Powermac i used to watcha dvd, import music from a cd while browsing the web. Today i was importing a cd and listing to a podcast when itunes crashed twice. My mac pro keeps crashing when it normally should not.

I did reinstall Msc OS X that not it there must be something else, thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have third party RAM? Do the apps crash in a new user account? What sort of OSX reinstall did you use? :)

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I agree with madjew... bad RAM is probably the #1 cause of this sort of erratic behavior.

arn

4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Using the migration assistant to bring across software from a Power PC based Mac can also casue poblems.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good point. Using Migration Assistant to move anything but the most basic of data (music, videos, documents and so on) can cause problems. It's not a brilliant app. :(

6. pastrychef macrumors 68040

pastrychef

VLC crashes on me quite often, too, but I suspect it may be the video files that I play on it.

7. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

My RAM is from an apple reseller, it worked fine but i am thinking there is something wrong with it. I did a clean install, i erased everything then installed all the apps i had from start and updated them.

8. majorp macrumors 6502

9. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure that it's anything as serious as bad RAM. I've had the odd app quit on me, and memtest seems to work fine (only waited for 1.5 cycles). I'm currently putting it down to the fact that the Mac Pro is a new machine and everything isn't perfectly optimized yet.

David

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I have a Mac Pro, and the only time it's crashed is when trying an early version of Parallels.

Recurrent crashes are not normal. Crazykat, if it happens every time you use it, pull your 3rd party ram, and see if that fixes it.

arn

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Listen to the God! Memtest and its equivalent software-based RAM testers are pathetic. They might find fault with the RAM, but there's a very high chance they won't, even if RAM is the cause of the problem. :(

12. peas macrumors member

i tried to use motion picure hd for giggles a few times.
    never once have i been able to see a finished project.
    kaboooooooooooooooooom!

after the 3rd time i just gave up on those apps.
    i this, i that, i crash

13. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Surely, if you've got a Mac Pro, since it has ECC RAM, any RAM errors will be likely to show up in the ASP?

David

14. ILC32 macrumors newbie

What happened, Crazycat?

I seem to be experiencing the same issue. My Mac Pro 2.66 has 2 MB from Apple in 4 512 sticks. I also have the ATI card. Yesterday, the machine would crash out of programs like Word, Activity Monitor and Disk Utility. I repaired permissions and rebooted a few times, and it seemed okay. This morning, I was even able to play COD2 with no issues. Then when I was done playing, the same wierd crashes started with Activity Monitor and Disk Utility. I ran the Apple Hardware Test on the install disk. I ran both the short and extended test, and no issues were identified. After my last reboot this morning, everything seemed okay, but I had to leave for work. :confused:

What do you guys recommend I do next if this keeps recurring.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

First off, unplug all third party peripherals. Then, try verifying the hard disk in Disk Utility (not the Hard Disk Permissions) in the Utilities folder. Also try logging your problems. :)