Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luisn17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Miami, Fl
Hello,

I'm currently on the fence about buying a Mac Pro for $2699.99 from B&h photo. This will be for the entry level quad core 12GB memory unit Is this a great price for a new computer?. This will be my total cost for the computer since I won't be paying shipping or tax.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Edit due to price mistake

Last edited:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Hello,

I'm currently on the fence about buying a Mac Pro for $1699.99 from B&h photo. This will be for the entry level quad core 12GB memory unit Is this a great price for a new computer?. This will be my total cost for the computer since I won't be paying shipping or tax.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
You mean $2699?

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/auction/d178702240

Here in Japan on Yahoo auction Mac Pro DUAL 3.33Mhz Xeons with 12GB RAM for 300,000 yen equivalent to US2500...JUST SOLD unfortunately ...but gives u an idea of pricing. Rumors of a new Mac Pro for 2016 may entice more to sell off their 2009-2012 cheesegrater modals giving you more choice if u can wait.
Link attached ...sorry some is in Japanese but you probably can pick up the English text. Also put JPEG file with this machine's geekbench performance ...smoking at of 29,000!!! .. 3 x the quad.... hope it helps.

Attachments

• MacPro.jpg
    MacPro.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 114

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
And what are you going to use it for?
And for how long are you intending to use/keep it?
Is this a bridge-over, until an "updated" version comes out?
Is this your first Mac or would it replace an existing system (which one?)?.

I dare say, the answer to your question is "it depends" ;-)

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
To be honest the quad core pro is not a great buy it is handily beaten in most benchmarks by the iMac 5K especially the new ones with skylake CPU and you get a 5K screen.

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
I see maybe the OP was considering a new MacPro. My oversight but as Mrainer says ...it depends on your needs.
Also depends if you need to buy NOW or you can wait a while. If u can, like I said in previous post, you can get great deals on used Mac Pros and when the new NEW Mac Pro comes out... people will want to upgrade giving u the chance to pick up a good deal somewhere. The quad core 3.2 GHZ I bought a few years back (old cheesegrater type) was good for my needs when I needed it for work purposes at that time and it was paid off quickly thru work contracts. Your investment is all relative to how you intend to use it, e.g professionally or not. I always valued separate components and am not comfortable with AIOs in case sth goes wrong with the hardware. The extra cost makes sense IF u know the return on that investment is greater.

Pls clarify how you u will use the Mac u wish to buy.

2016 is just around the corner and that announcement may come soon ... with new upgradeable Xeon Intel chips now announced. If Apple give the green light.... you may find yourself with lots of options to pick up an "older" modal trashcan Mac Pro at a price better than 2699.00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.